We are an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world.
Our water business continues to grow in response to market demand. We have a wide and growing portfolio of work delivering strategic advice through to detailed design to our water clients. We deliver projects as trusted advisor to clients globally which include government; private infrastructure asset owners and operators; regulatory and policy organisations; and investment institutions. Recent clients include Environment Agency, Welsh Water, Yorkshire Water, Wessex Water, Northern Ireland Water, Bristol City Council, Thames Water, Rockefeller Foundation and other international NGOs.
We are looking for a Senior Consultant to join our dynamic and growing team who is excited by the challenge of driving innovation, delivering excellence for our clients, influencing the sector both nationally and internationally through our projects, and working in collaborative, diverse teams. The West Water Advisory team provides expertise in:
- Asset Management;
- Asset Planning including Water Resources Planning;
- Assurance and Regulation;
- Business / Investment Cases including Environmental and Social Economics;
- Risk management and Resilience;
- Strategy and Policy.
We have a new opportunity for an experienced, intelligent and committed Senior Consultant with experience of asset management and regulation, to join our high-performing and collaborative team.
The primary focus of the Senior Consultant role is to provide asset management services, with a focus on the water sector. The role will involve:
- Development of strategies and plans, business/investment cases, risk and resilience approaches and asset management;
- Analysis and interpretation of qualitative and quantitative data;
- Preparing and delivering compelling client- and public- facing reports and presentations;
- Working in multi-disciplinary teams and supporting the development of junior members of the team;
- Managing the delivery and output of projects, including project planning, programming, quality assurance and commercial management;
- The ability to analyse business activities to create and deliver strategic approaches for clients through understanding their business drivers, risks and opportunities, resulting in significant improvements to their businesses;
- Contribute to client accounts and business development activity working with clients to understand their needs and form compelling proposals for consultancy services;
- Develop and build strong client relationships and command the confidence of others, internally and externally;
- Contribute to the delivery of projects within multidisciplinary consulting teams;
- Adopt an organised, methodological and creative approach to problem solving and decision-making;
- Achieve successful client engagement at senior / strategic level.
We encourage our people to demonstrate drive and motivation, a willingness to learn, and a desire to deliver an excellent service to our clients.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to develop a strong combination of industry skills and broad range of experience, learning through a combination of project work and training, as they progress towards promotion to roles with overall responsibility for project delivery.
Requirements and skills
- Highly motivated, proactive and excited by new challenges.
- Strong interpersonal skills and teamwork and client and stakeholder relationship building skills.
- .Ability to interpret technical data into clear, well-structured communications.
- Experience of regulatory systems in utilities.
- Strong analytical skills for qualitative and quantitative data and information to derive compelling insights.
- Track-record of adopting digital technologies into your previous work.
- Demonstrable experience working in the infrastructure sector or other relevant sectors including industry, consulting or academia (post-degree).
- Experience in delivering ONE or more of: Asset Management; Asset Planning including Water Resources Planning; Assurance and Regulation; Business / Investment Cases including Environmental and Social Economics; Risk management and Resilience; Strategy and Policy.
- Knowledge of the key issues and opportunities facing infrastructure in the UK.
- Project and commercial management experience, including project planning, programming and financial tracking and forecasting of projects.
- Experience of preparing bid documents, grant proposals or similar.
- Experience of line management or development of a team.
- Able to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines.
- Advanced planning, organisational and management skills.
- Capable of holding responsibility for delivery and output of a project.
- Master’s degree in engineering, science, mathematics, economics, geography, water management, water security or related discipline.
- Professionally qualified or working towards qualification in a relevant professional institution, for example, Institute of Asset Management, CIWEM or ICE.
Rewards and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary at all levels, and one of the best benefits packages in our sector.
Core benefits include cover under the UK Healthcare Plan (private medical insurance), Life Assurance, Accident Insurance, and Income Protection (long term disability) cover. Core benefits are funded by us and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical, and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to Choice Benefits to help with your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition, all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.
Shape your time with usOur goal is to shape a better world. And to do that, we need to make Arup a phenomenal place to work for everyone. If we want to solve problems for people around the world, we must seek and attract the best people from the widest talent pool and create an environment that supports and includes them. We aim to encourage a culture where people can be themselves and be valued for their contribution. This includes people with disabilities, so please discuss any adjustments that you may require throughout the selection and assessment process with your recruitment contact.
At Arup, you’ll be a welcomed member of the team with opportunities to participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador) or by joining one of our staff networks for women, culture or LGBT+ people. You’ll have access to a range of flexible working options – whether you’re a parent, a carer, a student, or just have a busy lifestyle – we recognise it’s not always easy to commit to standard working hours so if you’re interested in flexible working, please let us know when you apply, and we’ll discuss how this could work in your role.
Join us in shaping a better world.
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcome all qualified applicants. You will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to sex, race, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, genetic data, or other legally protected status. We recognise that not all disabilities are visible and will make reasonable adjustments to cater for diverse applicants in the selection and assessment process.
What happens next?
If this could be the next step in your journey, please apply online. All applications will be considered, and we will try our very best to respond to you within 72 hours of receiving your application.
Stay safe online – Arup will never ask for payment or your bank details as part of our recruitment process.