Are you looking for an exciting opportunity where you can make a difference in your community?
The Senior Water Quality Program Coordinator supports programmatic field & enforcement operations including compliance and ambient water quality monitoring, water quality data management, pollution investigation and reporting, and limited volunteer program activities. The Senior Water Quality Program Coordinator works closely with the Water Quality Scientist to ensure that programmatic field operations are carried out in a consistent manner that follows established Standard Operating Procedures. In addition, the Senior Water Quality Program Coordinator collaborates with the Water Quality Scientist and the Waterkeeper on the development and implementation of fundraising strategies for the Waterkeeper program.
Blue Water Baltimore’s mission is to restore the quality of Baltimore’s rivers, streams, and Harbor to foster a healthy environment, a strong economy, and thriving communities. Blue Water Baltimore is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that accomplishes a wide range of work and partners with diverse organizations and community stakeholders to reach its restoration, greening, and advocacy goals. Read more at ww.bluewaterbaltimore.org.
The Senior Water Quality Program Coordinator will:
Implement Water Quality Monitoring Projects:
- Collect samples for our Ambient Water Quality Monitoring Program and other projects while following all established protocols and standard operating procedures. This work is done by land and by boat.
- As directed, lead teams of staff and volunteers in the field to implement these projects.
- Analyze water samples with BWB’s in-house IDEXX bacteria monitoring system.
- Deliver samples to the appropriate laboratories, ensuring sample integrity while following established procedures.
- Calibrate and post-calibrate scientific instrumentation for use in tidal and non-tidal water quality monitoring studies. Maintain and perform minor repairs to water quality monitoring instrumentation and equipment.
- Perform routine lab-maintenance duties, such as washing sample bottles and maintaining a clean lab space.
- Record data on field sheets and maintain Chain of Custody forms; enter data into BWB’s water quality databases. Perform QA/QC on water quality data.
- Upload water quality data to our BaltimoreWaterWatch.org website. Perform minor online database maintenance as needed.
Support Enforcement Work:
- Accompany Water Quality Scientist and/or Baltimore Harbor Waterkeeper on pollution investigations of suspected sources of pollution and potentially noncompliant facilities. Collect/synthesize documentation pertaining to these investigations.
- Utilize BWB’s CRM platform (SalesForce) to update our Pollution Reporting Database and other records associated with enforcement issues.
Fundraising and External Communication:
- Document field work (with photos and video) and generate social media and blog content relating to Blue Water Baltimore’s monitoring, pollution reporting, and investigation work.
- Contribute to grant reports and proposals as necessary.
- Interact with Blue Water Baltimore funders.
- Represent Blue Water Baltimore and communicate about our work at select engagements.
- Hold a minimum BA/BS degree in environmental science, biology, environmental engineering, or a related field.
- Attention to detail, consistency, and punctuality.
- Familiarity with water quality instrumentation and experience with scientific protocols and documentation.
- Comfortable working in a small boat in wet- and dry-weather conditions; boating experience is desirable but not necessary.
- Ability to lift and carry 50 lbs.
- Applicant should be willing to work in potentially harsh conditions (i.e. hot weather, hikes through water and on uneven/slippery terrain, inclement weather).
- Must have a driver’s license and reliable transportation.
- Proficiency with Microsoft office; comfortable learning new software.
- Demonstrated interest in environmental/ecological issues relevant to clean water.
- Ability to work occasional weekends.
Blue Water Baltimore offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes paid vacation, personal, holiday, and sick time; health, vision, and dental insurance; and a tax-deferred retirement plan.
- Please complete a short application at http://bit.ly/2HVnwwb
- Please email a cover letter and resume to company email address. Please include the position title in the subject line.
Blue Water Baltimore is an equal opportunity employer.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $40,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- One location
- Only full-time employees eligible
- Remote interview process