Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Hydrogeologist. You will conduct applied studies of subsurface contaminant fate-and-transport and perform hydrogeological data analysis and review for soil and groundwater characterization and remediation activities, including hydraulic test analysis, ground water chemistry trend analysis, and potentiometric surface and capture zone analyses. This position is in the Hydrogeology Division of the Environmental Restoration Department.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Responsible for monitoring the performance of LLNL’s remediation wellfield and status of the groundwater and soil vapor treatment facilities. Provide ongoing status reports to the project team.
- Analyze data to provide summaries of remediation wellfield operational history and progress of subsurface remediation for quarterly and annual regulatory reports. Provide recommendations and solutions to improve performance.
- Analyze and interpret geologic, borehole geophysical, and hydraulic/pneumatic data, and soil, rock, water and vapor chemistry data, and provide recommendations to senior scientists.
- Assist in the preparation of documents and presentations to Federal and State regulators, and the local community.
- Assist in the development of hydraulic/pneumatic tests, field experiments, sampling plans; analyze results and provide interpretations to senior scientists.
- Ensure compliance with all federal, state, and Laboratory’s environmental policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the TSS.3 level
- Perform advanced hydrogeological analysis and interpretation of subsurface data for environmental remediation activities at LLNL, including hydrostratigraphic analysis; provide recommendations to ERD technical leaders.
- Plan and implement field experiments for the development, adaption, and/or demonstration/validation of new environmental technologies.
- Prepare regulatory documents and deliver presentations at meetings with Federal and State regulators, and the local community.
- Ability to maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship
- Bachelor’s degree in Geology, Hydrogeology, or other relevant field or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge and relevant experience interpreting subsurface data, including geologic, borehole geophysical, and hydraulic and pneumatic data, and soil, rock and water chemistry data.
- Relevant experience applying operational hydrogeology knowledge and skills, including remediation well performance evaluation, hydraulic capture zone interpretation, and analysis of groundwater contaminant trends.
- Experience using spreadsheet/database, subsurface visualization, and Geographic Information System (GIS) software to process data.
- Comprehensive knowledge of federal and state environmental regulations and experience applying it to an environmental restoration program.
- Experience developing innovative solutions to moderately complex to complex environmental problems in areas of environmental characterization and remediation of contaminated areas.
- Comprehensive knowledge of standard software applications (such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and ability to work on multiple computing platforms (UNIX, PC, MAC).
- Proficient communication skills both verbal and written to interact effectively with team members and external parties; to collaborate in a multi-disciplinary team environment and present and explain technical information.
Additional qualifications at the TSS.3 level
- Advanced knowledge of and significant experience applying operational hydrogeology skills, including remediation well performance evaluation, contaminant distribution mapping, hydraulic capture zone interpretation, analysis of groundwater contaminant trends, and cleanup time estimation.
- Significant experience developing remedial action and/or hydraulic/pneumatic aquifer test plans. Experience with vapor intrusion evaluation.
- Advanced communication skills both verbal and written to interact effectively with the scientific community, regulatory agencies, and other stakeholders. Ability to collaborate in a multi-disciplinary team environment and present and explain technical information; advanced technical report writing skills.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master of Science degree in Geology or Hydrogeology.
- California State Certified Professional Geologist; California Certified Hydrogeologist.
- Experience working on Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA) projects.
- Understanding of analytical and numerical flow and transport models; experience with environmental databases.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.