Akvo is looking for a dynamic and visionary Chief Technical Officer (CTO) to drive our technical solutions and platform development. This is a unique opportunity to take our technical solutions to the next level so that Akvo can better support partner organisations in achieving sustainable and inclusive impact.
You will be responsible for all aspects of our technical solutions, including technical consultancy and product development. As our CTO, you will be a member of Akvo’s management team (MT) and inform the MT members on all strategic matters relating to technical solutions. You will frequently align with our hub managers and project managers.
This position is based in Amsterdam, and you will be reporting to the CEO.
In this role, you will lead and supervise Akvo’s Technical Solutions team of 17 people, and make sure they are able to develop and operate our standard products and custom technical solutions. You are a visionary leader that drives Akvo’s strategy regarding technical data solutions for our partners. You also play a key role in developing, implementing and executing Akvo’s global strategy. The team members of the Tech Solutions team are located all over the world, therefore your remote leadership skills are crucial.
Strategy and advice
- Develop and implement our technical solution strategy in alignment with Akvo’s strategy on Data for Development and sector collaboration
- Play an active role in the management team
- Support business development
- Identify new technological opportunities and create plans to implement them for Akvo and its partner organisations
- Balance work and resources between platform & product development and tech consultancy projects
- Oversee all system design and changes in system architecture
- Lead efforts to keep Akvo’s technical infrastructure reliable, scalable, sustainable and secure
- Oversee the work with internal IT systems and ensure that Akvo’s IT operations adhere to local laws
- Manage Akvo’s Tech Solutions team and oversee the execution of their goals and objectives
- Create a productive, sustainable and positive work environment
- Motivate, coach and supervise team members (mostly remote)
Key competencies and skills
- At least 10 years years of working experience in software projects, including custom technical solutions as well as product management /software engineering
- Experience in driving a vision and strategy for technical data driven solutions
- Preferably experience or a good understanding of data solutions for international development
- Strategic mindset and strong track record in senior management
- Transformative leadership skills
- Experience with tailored solutions as well as product and platform development and management
- Proven track record in guiding highly collaborative, participatory, distributed teams with a strong sense of ownership of their tasks
- Experience in balancing in-house development versus outsourcing of components
- An MSc and BSc in software engineering or equivalent
- A strong set of intercultural communication skills
- Experience with and interest in agile and lean startup approaches
- Experience with overseeing internal IT systems for highly distributed teams
- Interest in the international development sector
- Excellent command of English in both writing and speaking
What we offer
- Full time (40 hours/week) employment contract for one year to begin with, with the intention of building a long-lasting working relationship
- Gross salary range between €5500,- to €6700,- per month
- A unique chance to be part of our international Akvo community, with motivated and talented people whose diverse backgrounds converge to accomplish ambitious objectives
- Contribute to our mission: unlocking the power of data to boost sustainable development
How to apply
Think you’ve got what it takes? Click the link below to send your motivation letter and resume (including references) in PDF to Jeroen van der Sommen. The closing date for this application is 9 May 2021.