What can I expect to do in this role?• provide specialized civil engineering, water resources management and project management services in support of the inspection maintenance, rehabilitation, construction and decommissioning of Crown owned dams/fishways, roads and bridges
• provide expertise, advice and recommendations with respect to interpretation and applications under different legislative authorities, compliance monitoring, issues management and emergency response relating to these programs.
• develop and deliver training and educational materials
How do I qualify?
Mandatory• You have a valid class G drivers licence or equivalent as recognized by the province of Ontario.
Technical knowledge and skills:• You have knowledge and experience in the application of civil engineering design, structural design, geotechnical standards, road geometric design, hydraulic and hydrologic principles/standards, construction principles and environmental requirements related to dams, roads and bridges.
• You have knowledge of sustainable ecological and water management principles, policies and practices as they apply to water management.
• You can interpret and apply relevant legislation, regulations, policies, procedures and guidelines (e.g. Lakes & Rivers Improvement Act, Environmental Assessment Act, Fisheries Act, Navigation Protection Act);
• You have demonstrated computer skills utilizing AutoCAD, database input/applications and specialized engineering software applications.
Analytical, evaluative and problem-solving skills:• You have proven risk assessment skills to review detailed design/plan specifications for Crown owned and/or privately owned dam rehabilitation or improvements.
• You have considerable judgment and decision making to apply technical analysis as well as interpretation of legislation in undertaking preliminary planning and the development of project implementation plans/schedules.
• You can evaluate and ensure services provided by consultants and contractors meet quality requirements, environmental protection standards, and safety requirements.
Communication and interpersonal skills• You have superior interpersonal skills to work within a team and to establish and maintain positive internal and external work relationships.
• You have excellent communications skills to provide technical direction and advice to consultants and contractors.
• You can respond effectively to provide expertise and recommendations to district staff and Conservation Authorities with respect to emergency situations and addressing public safety issues (e.g. flooding, ice jamming, dam operation, bridges/culverts wash outs).
• You have well developed written communication and technical writing skills to prepare briefing materials, reports and correspondence for senior management.
• You have experience in preparing training/educational materials and operations manuals to direct field staff on safe operation of dams and required surveillance.
Planning and organizational skills:• You have strong organizational skills to undertake several projects of differing complexities at the same time right through from planning to completion.
Facilitation and negotiation skills• You have proven facilitation and negotiation skills to secure approvals, prepare and evaluate contracts, claims and reports.
• You can negotiate to resolve project problems (e.g. contract changes, deficiencies in work identified through construction supervision, issuance of payment certificates or release of hold backs).
Project management skills:• You have proven project management experience to plan, coordinate and deliver various specialized and complex water control and access capital construction projects.
- 1 Permanent, 5520 Hwy 101 E, South Porcupine, North Region or 190 Cherry St, Chapleau, North Region or 2-3 Hwy 11 S, Cochrane, North Region or 613 Front St, Hearst, North Region or 10 Government Rd E, Kirkland Lake, North Region or 122 Government Rd W, Kapuskasing, North Region or 64 Church St, Sault Ste Marie, North Region or 62 Queen Ave, Blind River, North Region or 3767 Hwy 69 S, Sudbury, North Region or 48 Mission Rd, Wawa, North Region
- Less qualified applicants may be considered on an underfill basis.
- The information that you provide for the purpose of this competition and the results from this competition may be used to fill other positions These positions may be of various tenures including short-term assignments. Your information and the results from this competition will be retained for the purpose of filling vacancies in accordance with the applicable collective agreement or policy provisions.
How to apply:
- You must apply online.
- Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages. For tips and tools on how to write a concise cover letter and resume, review the Writing a Cover Letter and Resume: Tips, Tools and Resources.
- Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
- Read the job description to make sure you understand this job.
- OPS employees are required to quote their WIN EMPLOYEE ID number when applying.
- If you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please Contact Us to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
Job advertisements for positions that have been designated bilingual will be provided in both English and French on the website. Positions that are not designated bilingual are not translated and are displayed in English only on both the English and French versions of the website.
Les annonces d’emploi pour les postes désignés bilingues sont publiées en anglais et en français sur le site Web. Les annonces pour les postes qui ne sont pas désignés bilingues ne sont pas traduites et elles figurent en anglais seulement, tant dans la version française que dans la version anglaise du site.
Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code.