WHO WE ARE: The Minnesota Center for Environmental Advocacy has been the leading legal and scientific voice for Minnesota’s environment since 1974. We work in the courts, regulatory agencies and at the legislature to defend clean water and to create a livable climate for our children. MCEA is a rapidly growing nonprofit that seeks to supports its employees through a commitment to a living wage, a good benefits package, and regular opportunities for professional growth and development. MCEA is proud to have been featured on the 2021 Best Nonprofits to Work For list by the Nonprofit Times. We value diversity, equity, an inclusive culture, and respect in the workplace
POSITION SUMMARY: We seek an energetic and self-motivated Program Associate who is committed to justice, equity, and the environment to join our team of advocates working to reduce pollution in Minnesota’s lakes, rivers, streams, and groundwater and to ensure all people and future generations can safely use Minnesota’s water resources for drinking, recreation, and healthy living. The Program Associate will: act as a liaison to outside consultants, experts, and advocacy groups, and actively reach out to and develop relationships with disproportionately-impacted communities; research and analyze water-related issues, draft comments, and gain expertise in groundwater and surface-water policies; and assist, as appropriate, MCEA’s Legislative Team and Communications Team drafting talking points, reviewing water-related bills, testifying at the Legislature, and assisting in developing content for communications with MCEA members. The Program Associate, with supervision from the Senior Attorney – Water, will work closely with MCEA’s team of advocates to accomplish MCEA’s Water Program goals.
MAJOR AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Develop and maintain relationships with communities, organizations and individuals disproportionately impacted by water pollution to advance Water Program goals.
- Develop expertise in groundwater and surface-water policies, and stay abreast of emerging trends and issues.
- Assist in reviewing water-related projects and proposals, including, for example, government policy documents, proposed legislation, agricultural projects that impact water quality.
- Participate as active team member on projects, providing research, analysis, and other assistance as appropriate.
- Participate in MCEA’s legislative advocacy to advance Water Program goals, including drafting talking points and fact sheets, providing testimony, and meeting with legislators.
- Participate in MCEA’s administrative advocacy to advance Water Program goals, including reviewing and commenting on agency actions, and meeting with federal, state, and local regulators.
- Participate in communications efforts to advance Water Program goals, including assistance with press releases, social media posts, and other publications.
- Develop and maintain institutional relationships with government agencies, other NGOs, academics, and other existing or potential experts to advance Water Program goals.
- Participate as appropriate in fundraising to support MCEA’s work.
OTHER PERFORMANCE CRITERIA:
- Ability to contribute positively to the creation of a diverse, equitable, inclusive team-oriented work environment that celebrates differences.
- Ability to develop and maintain good working relationships with external partners, including groups and individuals most impacted by water pollution, with government officials, and with other MCEA staff.
- Ability and desire to learn new information and skills.
- Ability and desire to hone skills in research, writing, and analysis.
- Sound judgment with the ability to balance independent action while maintaining adequate communication with appropriate MCEA staff and partners.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills for building relationships and working cooperatively with MCEA partners and MCEA staff.
- Commitment to excellence in work product.
- Commitment to public interest environmental advocacy and environmental justice.
- Commitment to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace and culture that values differences.
SALARY & BENEFITS: The salary range for this position is $35,000-$40,000 annually with a great benefits package and generous paid time off.
REPORTS TO: This position reports to the Senior Attorney of the Water Program.
MCEA strives to create a mission-focused work environment that is equitable and inclusive. We offer a competitive nonprofit salary, including excellent benefits. MCEA highly values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
TO APPLY: Please send your resume, cover letter, and writing sample to [email protected] by Friday, May 7, 2021 for priority consideration. Please also indicate in your e-mail where you located this job posting. You must submit all materials directly to this email address – no applications via third party website (such as Indeed) will be accepted.