Eawag, the Swiss Federal Institute of Aquatic Science and Technology, is an internationally networked aquatic research institute within the ETH Domain (Swiss Federal Institutes of Technology). Eawag conducts research, education and expert consulting to achieve the dual goals of meeting direct human needs for water and maintaining the function and integrity of aquatic ecosystems.
The Sandec Department (Sanitation, Water and Solid Waste for Development) at Eawag is currently looking to fill a new position for a technical backstopping mandate on sanitation related technologies in humanitarian settings for Swiss Humanitarian Aid (SHA).
Scientific Project Manager 60-80%
Sandec seeks a highly motivated and qualified individual to work in the Management of Excreta, Wastewater, and Sludge (MEWS) research group, in collaboration with the Strategic Environmental Sanitation Planning (SESP) group. The percent working time will depend on personal qualifications. The main objective will be to improve the evidence base for sustainable faecal sludge treatment technologies along the entire service chain, which are appropriate for humanitarian settings. The main tasks of this position include gathering and analyzing the current state of knowledge, communicate with the project team, collaborators, and implementation partners, and conduct applied research.
- Technical backstopping of field implementations for SHA
- Compile factsheets with existing level of implementation and effectiveness of treatment technologies, for improved understanding of current situation and knowledge gaps
- Refine analytical methods appropriate for faecal sludge field conditions by improving accuracy and ease of implementation of methods (e.g. see Faecal Sludge Field Laboratory)
- Upscaling research concepts in terms of applicability in operational field conditions (e.g. real-time monitoring for dosing of conditioners)
- Develop and pursue new collaborations with implementation partners, researchers, students, and interns in applied research projects
- Communicate with project team, management, stakeholders and collaborators
- Develop proposals for externally funded research
- Manage budget, operational and financial reports
- A graduate degree in sanitary / environmental engineering or related field, with 0-3 years experience
- Experience in humanitarian or emergency settings is highly desirable
- Experience with conducting laboratory scale research
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
Sandec works in a multilingual and multicultural environment, therefore an excellent knowledge of spoken and written English is essential. The position starting date is 1 June 2021. Interviews start from time of posting, applications officially close on
6 May 2021.
is a modern employer and offers an excellent working environment where staff can contribute their strengths, experience and ways of thinking. We promote gender equality and are committed to staff diversity and inclusion. The compatibility of career and family is of central importance to us. For more information about Eawag and our work conditions please consult www.eawag.ch
For more information, please see:
For enquiries about the position and the project please contact: Dr Linda Strande
We look forward to receiving your application. Please send it through this webpage, any other way of applying will not be considered. A click on the button below will take you directly to the application form.