We are looking for an experienced and flexible individual to join us as WASH Advisor in our Humanitarian Surge Team and be deployed in small or medium scale emergencies or the second phase of a large scale emergency. Internationally mobile, you will join the Save the Children WASH team which works to support newborn and child survival in emergencies.
Working in more than 120 countries, we do whatever it takes to create breakthroughs in the way the world treats children. Our Humanitarian department integrates emergency and development work, through our country programmes. It increases our capacity to meet the assistance and protection needs of children and their families affected by crises. Together, we save children’s lives, fight for their rights and help them fulfil their potential.
As WASH Advisor in the Humanitarian Surge Team you will play an important role within Save the Childrens humanitarian strategy. You will be an active member of Save the Children’s UK’s humanitarian department, and contribute to organisational learning and help build organisation capacity to respond effectively to emergencies world-wide. In addition you will:
- Work with the Deputy Team Leader – Programmes or Team Leader to develop WASH sector response plans and masterbudgets and contribute to Save the Children’s overall response strategy
- Support fundraising for the WASH sector, including development of high quality concept notes and proposals, and engagement with donors’ technical advisors
- Prepare timely programme and donor reports on project activities in compliance with internal SC requirements and any relevant external donor requirements
- Identify learning and training opportunities for Save the Children staff and partners, conduct relevant trainings using the WASH training modules and work as a mentor and role model for less experienced staff
- Assist with advocacy activities that target decision-makers in-country.
To be successful you will be educated to Masters level in Public Health, Water Engineering, or a related subject, or have equivalent field experience. Politically and culturally sensitive, you will have previous experience of managing a WASH team at a national level. In addition you will have:
- Experience of working internationally in WASH-related programmes in a humanitarian or development context
- Strong influencing skills and experience in advocacy
- The ability to write clear and well-argued assessment and project reports
- Proven capacity to supervise, train and coach staff in WASH technical skills
- A high level of written and spoken English
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
Language skills in French and/or Arabic are desirable, as is experience or knowledge of working and living in relevant regions/contexts.
At Save the Children we are committed to the safeguarding and protection of children in our work. We will do everything possible to ensure that only those who are suitable to work with children are recruited to work for us. This post is subject to a range of vetting checks including a criminal records disclosure.
Our mission is to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives. If you share our mission, are passionate about making it happen and strongly believe you can contribute then join us and we’ll give you every opportunity to succeed. We look forward to hearing from you.
Closing date: 19th February