Who we are
Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We are a diverse group of over 5,000 entrepreneurial development professionals located in over 40 countries committed to making it easier for all people to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire. PSI is using it’s global presence and 50+ years of experience to help reimagine healthcare. We are working to shape market systems, shift policy and funding, and strengthen global capacity to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
This position will provide technical expertise on market development, including private sector engagement and capacity building, design of WASH products and service improvements, entrepreneurship, increasing access to finance for consumers and businesses, and insurance schemes for water systems. You will also ensure institutional engagement in support of private sector participation and represent the project on public-private sector issues at technical, policy and strategic planning meetings, including meetings with collaborators and donors.
- The WASH Market Development and Finance Advisor will provide overall technical direction to the program’s market development approach.
- You will oversee market landscaping, mapping and ensuring products and services are of high quality and at the most competitive price range for customers.
- You will lead human-centered design activities to identify and test products and services.
- You will be responsible for implementing a market-led strategy that facilitates domestic investment (private, government, community, consumer) in water supply and safely managed sanitation services, improved technologies, equitable coverage, and accountable delivery.
- You will work with private sector, civil society, and government partners to develop market-led solutions to market and business enabling barriers to WASH sector competitiveness, in particular sanitation and hygiene.
- You will guide activities supporting sanitation financing, including identifying sustainable subsidy approaches, addressing challenges of capital for lenders, and creating linkages between finance institutions and local enterprises that sell WASH products and services and consumers.
- You will develop implementation strategies and activities to improve demand and supply to enable more affordable, desirable, and higher quality WASH products and services.
- You will work closely with supply chain actors, financial institutions, service providers, as well as the behavior change and gender specialists to increase access to WASH services.
- You will strengthen service provider business processes and business viability, and that appropriate training is delivered and institutionalized.
- You will support the development and delivery of appropriate training tools.
- You will disseminate best practices throughout the project and ensure exchange using various capacity building and communication channels (e.g. trainings, toolkits, teleconferences, etc.).
What are we looking for?
- Advanced degree in engineering, water and sanitation, or a business-related field
- Minimum of 7 years of practical experience in facilitating private investment and partnerships in market systems, preferably in the water supply, sanitation or menstrual hygiene management sectors
- Sales and marketing experience and design of national strategies strongly valued
- Demonstrated track record of working with financial service providers, investors, private sector, and public private partnerships
- Experience directly working in, developing training tools, and coaching businesses and service providers, with demonstrated success helping business to increase their operational efficiency, customer satisfaction, and bottom line.
- Experience with human-centered design approaches strongly preferred
- Exceptional communication skills in written and spoken English; Dagbani preferred.
- Adaptive management and creative problem-solving skills essential.
- References will be required.
- This position is contingent upon funding.
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
Measurement: You use hard evidence to make decisions and guide your work. You set clear goalposts in advance and explain clearly if you need to move them.
Pragmatism: You’ll strive to deliver the best possible result with the resources available. You won’t be paralyzed by a need to make things perfect.
Honesty: You own your mistakes and are open about your shortcomings – it’s the only way you’ll learn and improve.
Collaboration: You’ll quickly establish a mental map of whom you can rely on for what, in partners, on your team, at headquarters, and in our country offices – if you try to do it all yourself, you won’t succeed.
Trust: You accept limits to your sphere of control and give colleagues the benefit of the doubt.
Commitment: You are in it for the long-haul and want to grow with the organization, just like PSI serves its consumers and partners with host-country governments through thick and thin.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
ACCESSIBILITY NOTICE: If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process due to a physical or mental disability, please send an email to: [email protected] or call (202)785-0072.