The Government of the Republic of Tajikistan, following the approval of the Water Sector Reform Programme for 2015-2025 (December 2015) initiated the development of the water sector reform program. The reform involves the transition from administrative boundary management to hydrological basins, using integrated water management (IWRM) principles. The reform covers improving water legislation, institutional water management mechanisms and the rehabilitation of water infrastructure. In accordance with the Water Sector Reform Programme, the Water Code of the Republic of Tajikistan was re-drafted, the new edition was adopted by Parliament of the Republic of Tajikistan on April 2, 2020. 20 by-laws are anticipated to support the water code.
In 2020, with the support of OSCE Programme Office in Dushanbe (POiD), one by-law “Methodology for the determining water management governance boundaries on the territory of the Republic of Tajikistan” under the Water Code of the Republic of Tajikistan was developed. A water management governance boundary is a part of a river basin with characteristics, which allow setting limits for the intake (withdrawal) of water resources from a water body and other parameters for using of a water body.
Since the development of water management balances is necessity for the development of basin water management plans and impossible without the determining of water management governance boundaries, the POiD hires a national consultant Geographic Information Systems (GIS) to determine water management governance boundaries in Kofarnihon basin zone.
The national consultant on GIS will determine water management governance boundaries in Kofarnihon basin zone based on afore mentioned methodology, which was developed in 2020.
Tasks and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of WATES staff and a representative from the Ministry of Energy and Water Resources, the national consultant on GIS will perform the following tasks:
- To prepare a work plan for the determining of water management governance boundaries of the Kofarnihon basin zone based on the developed Methodology (Annex 1_Methodology);
- Gradually determine water management governance boundaries based on: À) cartographic materials, within the limits of hydrographic units divided into water management governance boundaries: – catchment areas of non-hydraulically connected surface water bodies; – drainless areas and their areas’ definition. B) To determine boundaries of individual hydroelectric units that create reservoirs with a volume of more than 100 million m3, and the closing hydroelectric units of the cascades of reservoirs with a total volume of more than 200 million m3; C) To zone according to the indicators of population density, use and anthropogenic pollution of water resources taking into account the results obtained in the first and second stages (points A and B), the territory of the hydrographic unit is zoned according to the indicators of population density, use and anthropogenic pollution of water resources. Zoning is carried out using geo information technologies based on data on the population of administrative-territorial units of the districts of the Republic of Tajikistan, data on water bodies and water resources, as well as their use from the State Water Cadaster of the Republic of Tajikistan in the relevant territories; D) The topographic basis of the territory of a hydrographic unit containing the terrain, hydrographic network, settlements and other objects using geo information technologies should be superimposed with indicators of anthropogenic load on water bodies, as well as information about existing observation points for the regime and water quality of water bodies, hydraulic structures and large water users; E) To place additional boundary calculation lines in accordance with the given in the Methodology criteria based of the results obtained during the implementation of the steps provided for in sub – paragraphs A-D, F) To determine water management governance boundaries carried out from the upper reaches of the river network of the hydrographic unit and end in the closing sections of water bodies (the lower sections on the river that limit the basin under consideration);
- To document water management sites with the compilation of a systematized list of water management sites, their coding, drawing on the cartographic basis of the boundaries of water management sites, compiling a register of reference points of the boundaries of water management sites and describing the boundaries of water management sites, building linear diagrams of water management sites;
- To document information mentioned under point 4 on paper and save it electronically;
- To systematize the list of water management sites with the determination of their number and code water management sites, harmonized with the system of coding of water bodies;
- To map and describe the boundaries of water management areas;
- Implementation of other tasks for determining of water management governance boundaries based on paragraph III of Methodology.
Deliverables and performance indicators
- A work plan has been developed for the determining of water management governance boundaries in the Kofarnihon basin area;
- Water management governance boundaries in the territory of the Kofarnihon basin zone identified, documented and submitted for approval to the Ministry of Energy and Water Resources;
- Detailed monthly progress reports on all afore mentioned tasks should be submitted to the Ministry of Energy and Water Resources and OSCE POiD for comments and approval;
- The existing map with determining water management governance boundaries including its coding and layered information files;
- Final narrative report.
- University degree (Bachelor or equivalent) in Geographic Information Systems (GIS) or equivalent, water resources/hydrology or equivalent with technical specialization in Geo-spatial technology, cartography, data management;
- Preferably 5 years of experience in carrying out hydrological studies;
- Technical knowledge of hydrology is essential;
- Strong practical experience in GIS is required;
- Experience in managing data collection, entry and maintenance;
- A good understanding of methodology and its practical use in determining of water management governance boundaries is required;
- Ability of analytical and report drafting work;
- Excellent communication and analytical skills;
- Fluency Russian and Tajik, working knowledge of English;
- Familiarity with location, geographical features and difficulties of the region;
- Demonstrated ability to mobilize resources and to deliver against deadlines.
- Commitment: Actively contributes to achieving organizational goals
- Diversity: Respects others and values their diverse perspectives and contributions
- Integrity: Acts in a manner consistent with the Organization’s core values and organizational principles
- Accountability: Takes responsibility for own action and delegated work
- Communication: Actively works to achieve clear and transparent communication with colleagues and with stakeholders of the Organization
- Collaboration: Works effectively with others on common goals and fosters a positive, trust-based working environment
- Planning: Works towards the achievement of goals in a structured and measured manner
- Analysis and decision-making: Analyses available information, draws well-founded conclusions and takes appropriate decisions
- Initiative-taking: Proposes and initiates new ideas, activities and projects
- Flexibility: Responds positively and effectively to changing circumstances
Managerial competencies (for positions with managerial responsibilities)
- Leadership: Provides a clear sense of direction, builds trust and creates an enabling environment
- Strategic thinking: Identifies goals that advance the organizational agenda and develops plans for achieving them
- Managing performance: Helps to maximize team performance by providing active feedback and skill development opportunities
The consultant will be remunerated commensurate with consultant’s experience and qualifications in accordance with OSCE established rates. Applicants should indicate whether they wish to be included in the OSCE Roster of Consultants for similar assignments.
Consultancy period: April – October 2021
Location: Dushanbe, Tajikistan
How To Apply
If you wish to apply for this position, please use the OSCE’s online application link found under https://jobs.osce.org/vacancies.
Please note that applications received after the deadline, submitted in different formats than the OSCE Application Form or in other languages than the English language will not be considered.
Only those applicants who are selected to participate in the subsequent stages of recruitment will be contacted.
The OSCE retains the discretion to re-advertise/re-post the vacancy, to cancel the recruitment, to offer an appointment at a lower grade or to offer an appointment with a modified job description or for a different duration.
The OSCE is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious, ethnic and social backgrounds to apply to become a part of the organization.