Responsible for running and supervising water, sanitation, and hygiene programs/projects at all stages of the project management cycle. Ensure the overall success of the program by making sure the WASH team completes the defined activities while adhering to internal standards and contractual obligations; and that the program is completed on time, within budget and with acceptable quality.
• Develop a program plan, ensure its smooth implementation, and manage the team’s performance of project tasks and activities that may include, but are not limited to:
• Construction or rehabilitation of boreholes, wells, water networks or gravity flow systems.
• Implementation of latrines or other sanitation facilities.
• Hygiene promotion and education.
• Creation and training of management structures.
• Water treatment.
• Water trucking and emergency water supply.
• Water provision for irrigation.
• Carrying out of assessments and post-implementation monitoring.
• Geophysical analysis.
• Capacity building of partners.
• Monitoring of sub-contractor work.
• Ensure appropriate design, construction, and implementation of WASH hardware according to technical standards, as well as proper maintenance and use of WASH equipment.
• Develop and ensure the use of appropriate techniques and materials for hygiene promotion and training.
• Manage the program budget through the passing of timely orders, the preparation of monthly forecasts and the monitoring of expenditure.
• Track the progress of activities, ensure the collecting of program indicators, and provide on-time internal status reports and external donor reports.
• Identify and monitor risks, constraints, or escalating issues, and inform the hierarchy accordingly.
• Ensure that all data and information is updated, well organized and easily accessible; and that lessons learned, best practices are capitalized.
• Represent OBI externally and collaborate/coordinate with local authorities, counterparts, partners, and stakeholders.
• Analyse and report on the evolving humanitarian needs and provide clear recommendations for interventions.
• Develop appropriate targeting criteria and mechanisms to ensure the needs of identified vulnerable groups are met.
• Participate in the development of new proposals and the OBI annual country strategy.
• May assist with carrying out required reporting documentation, including but not limited to ALFRESCO.
• Perform any other duty as assigned by the Reporting Head.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
• Diploma/Degree in WASH related studies (engineering, public health, geology, etc.) and 2 years similar working experience in safe water programs desirable.
• Further qualifications in engineering in development related contexts preferred.
• Computer literate (thorough understanding of MS Outlook, MS Word, good understanding of MS Excel and MS Access).
• Extensive working knowledge of cross-cultural environments and customs
• Strong decision-making and analytical skills
• Ability to take initiative, be innovative, work independently, and function as a team player.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
• Ability to travel locally as assigned up to 50% of the year.