Purpose of the Position
Under the general guidance of the Chief of WASH, the incumbent will work closely with the Ministry of Water Resources acting as the focal point for UNICEF with the responsibility for the overall management of the construction of municipal water supply and sanitation facilities. The incumbent will support the Ministry of Water Resources to prioritize key projects as well as, manage and monitor the construction and repair of water and sanitation activities effectively. The position will be based in Damascus, with travel to many parts of the country.
Key Expected Results
Within the delegated authority and under the given organizational set-up, the incumbent may be assigned the primarily, shared, or contributory accountabilities for all or part of the following areas of major duties and key end-results.
- Programme/project Planning, Development and Management.
- In coordination with other WASH stakeholders ensure priority locations are assessed to determine actions needed to recover functionality of urban water & wastewater systems
- Working with relevant stakeholders to jointly develop a strategy to respond to the identified needs.
- Prepares the rehabilitation and/or repair implementation plan for the delivery of water supply and sanitation services by governorate
- Prepares appropriate plan to document the rehabilitation and/or construction activities to meet requirements of donor, and ensures detailed records are kept of all construction activities, enabling real-time tracking of construction progress
- Develops a quality assurance strategy and work plan for the implementation phase and monitors compliance to ensure objectives and targets are met and achieved. Ensures sufficient resources available to manage quality assurance adequately.
- Support needs assessment and mapping of priority areas and interventions
- Identify priorities areas of greatest needs – Based on analysis of the data generated from the assessments, develop priority areas of intervention for UNICEF programme
- Conduct timely monitoring analysis of the programme progress and impact and provide timely changes/adaptation and remediation action as appropriate, after consultation with his/her Supervisor.
- Provides inputs to UNICEF Chief of WASH for planning and reporting documents such as CPAP, Annual Work Plan and Annual and mid-term Reviews/Reports
- Revise/improve WASH standard operational procedures (SOP) as required for UNICEF urban WASH programs
- Regular liaison with Ministry of Water Resources through systematic program meetings to review progress and updates
- Collaborate with the Operations and Supply Sections and Government authorities to establish and maintain sound internal controls supportive of WASH programme or sectoral planning and implementation, to coordinate financial and supply management requirements as well as to ensure accountability.
- Provide technical support and guidance on appropriate technical, financial and institutional capacity building measures to achieve WASH programme goals.
- Providing direct supervision of national UNICEF staff specialising in water and sanitation
- Knowledge Management.
- Promote knowledge management by exchange of knowledge, information, situation analysis, experience or lessons learned; promote knowledge sharing and technical input or recommendations on major programme directions and on introduction of new initiatives in the country.
- Delivery of workshops to draw on lessons learnt, disseminate global practices relevant to the context and environment
- Documentation and dissemination of best practices, initiatives and innovations
- Conduct periodic programme reviews with Government counterparts and other partners.
- Advise the Chief of WASH on appropriate training and professional development opportunities for WASH government and UNICEF staff.
- Rights-Based Programme with Results-Based Approach.
- Promote the quality of rights-based WASH programme and programmes through participation in the formulation of programme/project goals, strategies and approaches.
- Bring coherence, synergy and added value to programme management processes using a results-based management approach to planning and design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
- Programme Management, Delivery, Evaluation and Reporting.
- Ensure programme efficiency and delivery through a rigorous and transparent approach to evaluation.
- Participation in major evaluation exercises, programme reviews and annual sector review meetings with government counterparts.
- Direct liaison with the PM&E section to advise on the technical components pertaining to design of technical monitoring forms, as well as the data capture through third party monitors/facilitators or consultants. Ensuring that the information provided is structured and therefore comparable on a regular basis, technically sound, and provides quantitative and qualitative analysis and findings.
- Ensures follow up of the construction activities; undertakes regular field visits and surveys to project sites to monitor progress made and assess local conditions and resources, including community inputs, and to monitor and evaluate project implementation. Identifies problems and proposes remedial action. Identifies alternative courses of action to accelerate/improve programme delivery
- Promotion of UNICEF’s Global Goals
- Promote the organization goals of UNICEF through advocacy and policy dialogue through active engagement in communication, networking and participation at every opportunity inside and outside UNICEF, leveraging the strength of UNICEF mission, goals and programmes, and with reference to the WASH Strategy.
- UNICEF and Government Accountability.
- Coordinates with Operations and Supply staff nationally and regionally on supply and non-supply assistance activities ensuring proper and timely resource provision and accountability.
- Certifies disbursements of funds, monitors and submits financial status reports to management in compliance with the regulations and guidelines.
- Certifies quality of construction
- Advocate for due attention and support to be given to environmental and sustainable development issues (pertaining to WASH) in all sectors and line ministries.
- Quality assurance against national and international standards for health and safety practices, using the “do no harm” and “build back better” approaches,
- Ensure adequate attention is given to Disaster Risk Management, including secondary emergency/contingency procedures.
- Communication, Collaboration, Networking and Partnership.
- Ensure exchange of information, experience, identify new strategies and courses of action to accelerate/improve delivery of services and achieve WASH programme requirements and objectives.
- Collaborate with Communication and Programme Communication groups to ensure development of effective communication materials and strategies to support advocacy and rights based, equitable service delivery efforts.
- Interact with Government and other partners, NGOs, UN and bilateral agencies in the different stages of WASH programme/project implementation to follow up on agreements and recommendations.
- Coordination on urban WASH issues with Regional & HQ Advisers, technical consultants and collaborating agencies engaged in this field of work. Collaborate with other Project or Programme or Emergency Officers to ensure the integration of the project/sectoral programme with other sectors.
- Under his/her supervisor authority, he/she will identify best positioned technical WASH partners for the implementation of priority activities and arrange implementing contracts.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
Advanced university degree in one of the disciplines relevant to the following areas: Preferably Civil Engineering or Sanitation Engineering with secondary knowledge of Mechanical Engineering, Hydrology, public health or a field relevant to international WASH related development assistance.
*First university degree with additional two-years of relevant work experience is acceptable in lieu of an advanced university degree.
- A minimum of 8 years experience in the design, construction and management of sewerage, drainage or water supply projects, with significant experience in construction management is required.
- Experience in the design, construction and management of sewerage, drainage or water supply projects, with significant experience in construction management is an asset.
- Extensive knowledge and experience of conducting civil engineering pre/feasibility studies is an asset.
- Experience in the rehabilitation of municipal water and wastewater treatment plants is an asset.
- Emergency experience is an asset.
- Experience particularly the Middle East, is highly desirable.
Fluency in English is required and knowledge of the local language Arabic is desirable.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Communication [ II ]
- Working with People [ II ]
- Drive for Results [ II ]
- Leading and Supervising [ I ]
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts [ II ]
- Analyzing [ III ]
- Relating and Networking [ II ]
- Deciding and Initiating Action [ II ]
- Applying Technical Expertise [ III ]
* The successful candidate for this emergency recruitment MUST be available to commence work within 31 days of receiving an offer.
* Please note that is a non-family duty station.
Employment is conditional upon receipt of medical clearance, any clearance required, the grant of a visa, and completion of any other pre-employment criteria that UNICEF may establish. Candidates may not be further considered or offers of employment may be withdrawn if these conditions are unlikely to be met before the date for commencement of service
Advertised: FLE Standard Time
Application close: FLE Standard Time