Jonathan Rose Companies is a national development, owners’ representative and investment firm. The Company’s mission is to develop communities that enhance opportunity for all.
The firm’s work touches many aspects of community health: working with cities and not-for-profits to build green, affordable and mixed-income housing; cultural, health and educational infrastructure; and advocates for neighborhoods to be enriched with parks and open space, mass transit, jobs and healthy food.
Since its founding in 1989, the firm has completed over 2.3 billion of work. The Company is widely recognized as a leader for design excellence, walkability, and economic, social and ecological responsibility, creating successful models that also enhance the ability of their cities to thrive.
The firm’s innovative work has won awards from a wide range of notable organizations including: the Urban Land Institute, the National Trust for Historic Preservation, the American Planning Association and the American Institute of Architects.
The Director of Sustainability will lead all environmental and healthy building initiatives. Responsibilities will include continuously seeking innovation in the field, securing financial incentives, researching and recommending building systems and materials, coordinating the scope of work and best practice operating procedures with the project management teams of both the acquisition and development practices, guiding project implementation ( carried out by our construction department) measuring our progress and generating the environmental reporting to Investors and other stakeholders. He/she will report to and work closely with the Managing Director – Asset Management and will engage with senior management on a regular basis.
- Lead the firm efforts on all Environmental and healthy building matters including greening feasibility analysis, external reporting, sustainability project tracking, vendor management, ROI analysis, investment analysis, including financial analysis, operating metrics, property evaluation, and rebate and grant applications. Constantly seeking innovation and cost efficiency in all endeavors.
- Collaborate with investment, development and asset management teams to identify and implement cost-saving opportunities across the portfolio.
- Review models and analyses for various energy/water/waste reduction opportunities and structures
- Discuss investment rationales and considerations with the leadership team
- Collaborate with the development team to develop best in class, high performance new buildings.
- Research and evaluate high efficiency systems and healthy materials for inclusion in best practice guidelines
- Provide guidance and oversight to Green Certification process
- Guide property management efforts to create green training programs for building staff and best practices in green living for residents.
- Conduct initial cost benefit analysis including payback analyses and measure success of implementation
- Seek financial incentives for green initiatives
- Manage aggregation and input of consumption and cost data from various business units and asset types for property and portfolio reporting including but not limited to GRESB and Investor reporting.
- Create, review and provide input to marketing materials communicating the company’s environmental mission.
- Track and report LEED, Enterprise Green Communities and ENERGY STAR asset attributes
- Provide analysis and recommendation of software options for streamlining the tracking and reporting process.
- Maintain and enhance environmental management policies, issues, and initiatives
- Represent Jonathan Rose Companies on select panels and forums on sustainability and demonstrate a deep and vast understanding of current and future environmental concerns in doing so.
- Other projects as directed
- 5-10 years of experience in financial analysis, corporate sustainability, real estate asset management of high performance buildings, or green consulting
- Experience in commissioning new and rehabilitation projects as Enterprise Green Communities
- Experience in applying for and receiving rebates and grants for the implementation of greening projects
- Substantial experience with implementation of Environmental and Sustainability initiatives
- Knowledge of relevant environmental legislation
- Carbon footprint reporting experience or training preferred
- Multi-family housing experience, with experience in affordable housing
- Strong decision-making; capability to make informed recommendations as to well-reasoned courses of action
- Confident self-starter and quick learner who requires minimal supervision and is comfortable with a range of clarity and ambiguity; highly productive; meets or exceeds all deadlines
- Expects and inspires a high level of responsiveness, sense of urgency and passion from others
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Extraordinary quantitative, written and oral communication skills
- Willingness to travel (25%)
- 4-year undergraduate degree; advanced degree a plus
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Comprehensive benefits provided. This position is available immediately.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Company policy prohibits discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, familial status, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status. We support and promote equal employment opportunity, human dignity, and racial, ethnic, and cultural diversity by taking positive steps to eliminate barriers that may exist in hiring and in employment practices.