We are currently seeking a Senior Climate Change Policy Analyst to lead and further develop Climate Analytics work in Togo and the West African region. The successful candidate will lead Climate Analytics’ work on implementation and strategy development in the region. Based in Lomé, Togo, he or she will work closely with the Climate Analytics Lomé Board and our broader Management Team, and will report to Climate Analytics’ CEO.
Key responsibilities will be to implement CA’s current signature projects (IMPACT and PAS–PNA), to expand CA’s regional portfolio, and to execute and further develop the Climate Analytics Lomé office development strategy. Apart from exploring new project opportunities and develop project acquisition capacity of the Lomé team, the senior policy analyst will be instrumental in the overall management of the office, its team and existing projects. The position will require frequent travel to LDC countries in Africa and other regions, UNFCCC meetings and occasional visits to the head office in Berlin, Germany.
- Oversight and strategic development of CA Lomé’s work in the field of climate policy, implementation and climate strategy development
- Project management and coordination of project work between CA’s offices in Lomé, Berlin and New York, as well as with regional partners in Africa and other LDC countries
- Project development, project acquisition and funder liaison for the CA Lomé office, identifying opportunities and proposal writing
- Maintain and develop relationships with stakeholders, project as well as political partners and potential funders
- Supervision and writing of (scientific) reports, briefing papers and other information material
- Management of operational activities of Climate Analytics Lomé, including budgeting, resource planning, and staff
- MA in Political Science, relevant MSc, or MBA. A PhD is a plus
- Minimum 7-10 years relevant working experience in sustainable development, climate science, adaptation or mitigation policy, risk reduction and management or a related relevant field
- In-depth knowledge of the West African region with good connections to regional governments and institutions and a strong LDC network
- Sound political capacities
- Project development and acquisition experience, as well as fundraising and relationship building with donors as well as political partners
- At least 5 years of personnel management skills and expertise including team leader skills and staff management
- Operations and Project management competences, skills and experience
- Excellent spoken and written French as well as very good spoken and written English
- Experience in aspects of international climate negotiations would be an asset
- A commitment to Climate Analytics’ vision, mission and role
- A well-developed sense for team work, excellent networking skills and an ability to interact with a diverse array of people
- A capacity to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Willingness to travel regionally and internationally is required
We offer an inspiring working environment with a dynamic and highly motivated international team with unique opportunities to gain further insight and develop expertise in high level international climate change fora and CA’s work for the SIDS and LDCs.