Job Number: 502772 | Vacancy Link
Location: Programme Division, UNICEF NYHQ
Work Type : Consultancy
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Assignment:
Develop a manual on management, operation and maintenance of rural piped water supply systems
In Coordination with the Chief of the WASH section and the water supply colleagues in the section, the consultant will undertake 2 travels to Ethiopia. Travel 1 for 10 days to conduct expert consultation and 3 observation field visits followed by travel 2 for 5 days to Ethiopia to conduct the national workshop.
- Expert consultation with MOWIE, RWBs, NGOs to understand the current practice and policy of operation and maintenance of rural water supplies,
- Review of existing literature on the management of large rural water supply schemes in Ethiopia (eg from WaterAid, Oxfam), leading to recommendations on the best model to take forward.
- Site observation in 3 locations (1 in each of Amhara, Somali, and Afar – at least one in a highly drought-prone area) on current management practices including a SWOT analysis of the involved stakeholders
- Preparation of a dummy business plan and methodology for tariff setting for rural water supply schemes to achieve 90% functionality and up to 10% expansion to additional satellite communities.
- Recommendation on minimum staffing requirements and job descriptions for each staff role, with adequate consideration of equal gender representation in decision-making roles.
- Draft the dummy MoU that outlines the roles and responsibilities of the management body, the woreda, zonal and regional administration including the social accountability of the management body to the community, and management of environmental impact.
- Recommend the minimum training package (documentation, financial management) for the management body for effective operation, maintenance and management of the system. Training to include an environment/land conservation plan to protect water sources. This can be developed according to the type of water source and can include activities such as: reforestation, erosion reduction and other activities to improve the potential of water catchment areas.
- Recommend the minimum annual maintenance requirements (including system diagnostic tools and regularity of maintenance including spare parts required to be stored at local level)
- Recommend a web based/mobile system of reporting against performance benchmarks
The overall assignment is expected to be completed within 30 days. The contract is planned to be started on March 01, 2017 and will be completed by the end of April, 2017. It is expected that a maximum of 10 days in country (two visits: 7 days for interviews/field visits and 3 days to facilitate the workshop and present the findings). The assignment is planned to be started at the beginning of March 2017. The specific tasks and preliminary schedule of activities is indicated in the following table.
To view our competency framework, please click here.
Please indicate your ability, availability and daily/monthly rate (in US$) to undertake the terms of reference above (including travel and daily subsistence allowance, if applicable). Applications submitted without a daily/monthly rate will not be considered.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
Opening Date 3 Feb 2017 E. Africa Standard Time
Closing Date 17 Feb 2017 E. Africa Standard Time