The responsibility of the flying WHS expert is to provide technical and strategic support for implementation of WHS activities with the objective of optimizing the methodologies and technical solution related to water (pumping, storage, treatment, distribution…), hygiene (in health structures and in camps) and sanitation (wastewater, excreta control, waste, vector control…) implemented by the logistics in MSF programs.
This position is based in the Field, travelling from mission to mission
Médecins Sans Frontières is an international, independent medical humanitarian action-driven organisation, providing aid to populations in need, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to the people affected by armed conflicts, without discrimination and regardless of their race, religion, belief or political affiliation (MSF Charter).
Water, Hygiene and Sanitation activities are part of the logistic department.
Because of the multiplication of the water, hygiene and sanitation complex activities requiring presence of specialists, the Geneva logistic department has requested for the position of 2 flying water, hygiene & sanitation experts to assist WHS referent with a physical presence in the field.
Direct technical support to field operations
Flying WHS Experts, on demand of the operation will intervene in the mission to:
• Promote and implement water & sanitation activities of the mission (implement or facilitate)
• Participate in Exploratory missions and Program support visits
• Assume the post of WHS Coordinator, where appropriate, in emergencies.
Audit and recommendation to missions
• Evaluates WHS activities needs, Pertinence of specific WHS activities within projects and WHS activities proposed
• Provides recommendation to improve quality of WHS activities
• Follow-up and monitoring of WHS emergency activities.
Contribution to missions operational strategies
• Shares information with medical and logistic coordinators to identify potential WHS related activities to develop
• Participates in the development of appropriate project strategies based on analysis of the situation
• Advises on Eprep capacity when appropriate
Training and coaching
• Provides support for the choice and development of WHS or logistic personnel in accordance with his expertise.
• Provides coaching to WHS and logistic teams both local staff and expatriate
• Participates in the review, design and presenting of MSF training modules
Validation of products and local suppliers.
In every mission dedicates time to support Supply teams to:
• validate technically sensitive product (insecticides, pumps…)
• validate local suplliers.
• Clean up stock and Eprep stocks
When the Flying WHS is not on mission and after enjoying R&R / holidays, they will support the WHS Unit in its usual activities.
They can be asked to do the temporarily backup of the WHS referent.
Education and experience
• The candidate should be a trained specialist or engineer in the water, hygiene and sanitation sector.
• They shall have expertise in some and interest in all of the following topics:
Water quality and quantity
Quality control and procurement of specific technical materials
Medical waste disposal
Organise Committee of nosocomial infection control (CLIN)
Hygiene promotion in institutions and communities.
• MSF experience in emergency situations is essential, particularly in WHS context.
• Experience in community water supply and hygiene promotion is an advantage.
• English and French fluent. Knowledge of other languages an asset.
• Result and quality driven
• High communication skills and capacity to interrelate with people.
• Teaching skills.
• Adaptability and flexibility.
Terms of employment
• Field-based position (various missions) with visits to HQ in Geneva.
• Practical working conditions while in the field are as per the MSF OCG volunteer handbook.
• Part-time contract : occupancy 50%-80%
• Fixed-term contract of 6 months, renewable
• Ideal starting date: July 2016
• Gross monthly salary : CHF 5’500.- (based on a 100% position)
Interested candidates should forward their complete application (incl. cover letter and curriculum vitae) to [email protected], stating “Flying WHS Expert 2016.06” in the subject line.
The deadline for applications is 13th June 2016
The applications will be considered with strict confidentiality.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted