Senior Research Assistant (WASH)
Result of Service
The ultimate result of service is to produce high-quality technology factsheets on WASH and contribute to the development of related training modules.
ESCWA Technology Center - Amman
The assignment is expected to begin on 01 May 2021 until 30 November 2021. If conditions warrant an extension of the dates to complete the assignment, the assignment’s duration may be longer.
Duties and Responsibilities
Senior Individual Contractor (IC) services are needed to assist ESCWA Technology Centre (ETC) in developing a toolbox of WASH (Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene) Technologies and carry out desk research and analyses on developing knowledge toolkits and training material with a focus on WASH and other associated tasks as mentioned below.
The Senior IC will work under the supervision of the Executive Director of The ESCWA Technology Centre (ETC).
In particular, the Senior Research Assistant will be tasked to do the following:
• Assist in developing the Information Factsheets on the WASH Technologies in the Arab region from various information sources.
• Support preparation of online training courses on WASH Technologies.
• Prepare statistical tables and graphs and prepare presentations and background substantive material for WASH project-related deliverables.
• Assist liaison with strategic partners to develop capacity-building activities on WASH Technologies in the Arab region.
• Support preparation of the WASH knowledge materials and statistics.
• Draft routine correspondences (emails, letters, memos...) to relevant stakeholders as needed.
• Respond to or draft responses to a range of correspondence and other meeting-related communications.
• Contribute to the preparation of monthly reports, summaries, meeting minutes, and other documents as requested.
• Perform other related tasks and duties as assigned.
The Senior Individual Contractor will also assist in various administrative services through coordination and support of consultation meetings on the above subject.
Competency: • Professionalism: ability to conduct research on sustainable development topics, determine suitability, validity, and accuracy of data provided by different sources. Ability to apply statistical theories and methods in the collection, analysis, and interpretation of data. Shows pride in work and achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments. Observes deadlines and achieves results. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
• Communication: good communication skills, written and spoken as well as the ability to draft or edit a variety of written reports including reports, summaries, concept notes, and briefing notes. Ability to ask questions for clarification and interest in having two-way communication; openness in sharing information; and keeping people informed.
• Teamwork: works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others and able to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment.
Skills: • Sound knowledge in Microsoft Office tools
• Outstanding drafting and editing skills, including the ability to write reports that are easy to read and meet high professional standards, edit documents to reduce repetition and simplify text, and proofread to eliminate grammar and formatting errors and inconsistencies;
• Ability to work with digital technology; ability to cope with juggling multiple tasks across diverse projects in an organized and timely manner; attention to detail.
Academic Qualifications: The successful candidate must be in possession of a first-level university, preferably in water engineering, environmental engineering, or any WASH-related field.
An advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) is desirable in related field.
Experience: • A minimum of 5 years of progressive experience in WASH related areas.
• WASH technological expertise and understanding of the applicability and limitation of specific WASH-related technologies in the Arab region are required.
• Experience in reviewing and compiling multiple data sets and excellent writing skills in English and Arabic.
• Experience in strategic planning and project management.
• Prior working experience for UN agencies and/or international organizations is an asset.
Language: High level of professional fluency in both written and spoken English and Arabic. Demonstrated proficiency using technical terminology related to the water sector in English and Arabic is required.