Call for Experts: USAID Nepal Jal Jangal (Freshwater and Forests)
Winrock is accepting applications for multiple technical roles for an anticipated USAID project in Nepal. The five-year Jal Jangal (Freshwater and Forests) Activity will focus on improving the health of ecosystems and biological diversity, environmental and social safeguards, climate resilience and addressing environmental crime in Nepal. The Activity will work with the Government of Nepal (GON), community groups, civil society, and private sector actors, and will align with GON’s vision of “Conservation of biodiversity for sound and resilient ecosystems and national prosperity.”
Technical specialists will work with senior project management leadership staff to provide technical leadership and design, manage and oversee within their field of expertise to achieve project outcomes.
These positions are contingent on award of funding from USAID. Female applicants are highly encouraged.
POSITIONS AND ROLES:
- Natural Resource Management (Freshwater and/or Terrestrial): Strengthen natural resource management by building capacity of stakeholders and partners to sustainably manage resources in target geographies, and provide technical expertise to ensure project activities best address goals and objectives.
- Conservation Biologist/Ecosystem Health and Services (Freshwater and/or Terrestrial): Provide technical and managerial oversight to project activities related to biodiversity conservation and protection of the freshwater and forested ecosystems within the targeted river basins and terrestrial landscapes.
- Climate Resilience: Work with Nepali institutions and communities to understand and address the impacts of climate variability and change on communities, and the freshwater and terrestrial ecosystems they depend on for their well-being. Will work with stakeholders and partners to design and implement strategies to mitigate risk, foster resilience and build adaptive capacity.
- Private Sector Engagement: Lead project efforts to expand and deepen collaboration with the private sector to achieve project outcomes. Will support engagement and develop approaches with and for key private sector audiences.
- Environmental Crime: Provide technical leadership in the assessment and strengthening of environmental crime-related policies and judicial processes to improve their application and effectiveness in Nepal and strengthen understanding of and solutions for human-wildlife conflict to improve protections for wildlife while ensuring human security.
- Resilient Livelihoods: Lead development of sustainable and resilient livelihood activities across project geographies and thematic areas to diversify income generation and local economic opportunities while ensuring protection and sustainability of natural resources.
- Capacity Building/Institutional Strengthening: Work with government, private and civil society organizations at local, regional, and national levels, including those related to governance and/or enforcement of policy frameworks related to natural resources management, environmental crime prevention, environmental and social safeguards, and climate resilience.
- Gender, Youth and Social Inclusion: Provide gender, youth, and social inclusion analyses and advice to project teams to inform activity design with proper considerations and safeguards that maximize stakeholder participation and involvement. Ensure integration of gender, youth and social inclusion modalities and efforts into all project activities, and train staff on best practices.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- A minimum of a master's degree (or foreign equivalent) in a subject relevant to the position.
- Work Experience:
- At least seven years of experience in the relevant field for position.
- Minimum of seven years’ experience on donor-funded projects; USAID experience strongly preferred.
- Experience working on contracts strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of USAID policies and procedures as related to project management required.
- Knowledge of the political, social, cultural, environmental, and development context of Nepal.
- Strong leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills, including proven ability to develop and communicate a common vision among diverse partners and teammates.
- Fluency in Nepali and English.
English language CVs preferred. Please put “NEPAL” and the Position Description in the subject line of your cover letter. Example: "NEPAL – Gender, Youth and Social Inclusion".
Applications will be reviewed and shortlisted for interview on an ongoing basis. The position will fill quickly, therefore candidates are urged to apply as soon as possible. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
About Winrock International
Winrock International is a recognized leader in U.S. and international development with a focus on social, agricultural and environmental issues. Inspired by its namesake, Winthrop Rockefeller, Winrock combines scientific and technical expertise with entrepreneurial innovation to deliver market-based solutions that improve lives around the world. Winrock’s mission is to empower the disadvantaged, increase economic opportunity and sustain natural resources across the globe.
Learn more about our projects: www.winrock.org