Deputy Chief of Party USAID Nepal Jal Jangal (Freshwater and Forests)
Winrock International is currently accepting applications for employment from qualified candidates for a potential Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) position on an anticipated USAID-funded program in Nepal. The five-year USAID-funded Jal Jangal (Freshwater and Forests) Activity will focus on improving the health of ecosystems and biological diversity, environmental and social safeguards, climate resilience and addressing environmental crime in Nepal. The Activity will work with the Government of Nepal (GON), community groups, civil society, and private sector actors, and will align with GON's vision of “Conservation of biodiversity for sound and resilient ecosystems and national prosperity.”
The DCOP is responsible for providing technical and management leadership and oversight to a multi-disciplinary technical team comprised of specialists in ecosystem heath, natural resource management (freshwater and forests), climate change adaptation, and environmental crime. Additionally, s/he will be responsible for providing technical leadership and oversight to field offices outside of Kathmandu. S/he will oversee the development, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of program approaches and activities, mentor staff, and ensure that the anticipated project results are achieved.
This position is contingent on receipt of donor funding.
- Coordinate with the Chief of Party in management of the technical components, provide technical leadership and oversee strategic planning of activities to support project goals and objectives, including the identifying and prioritizing technical approaches and activities.
- Provide technical and managerial leadership and oversight to project technical staff and field implementation teams.
- Foster effective coordination and planning among team members, partners, and stakeholders to identify and build on opportunities for project effectiveness as well as ensure workplans and efforts align with overall approaches and workstreams.
- Ensure implementation complies with USAID and Winrock protocols, policies and procedures.
- Work with leadership team to monitor, evaluate, document, and adapt staffing and project implementation as necessary.
- Represent the project in public and professional settings through meetings, conferences, and presentations.
- Serve as Acting Chief of Party (COP) as needed in the absence of the COP.
- Mentor and coach staff.
QUALIFICATIONS AND BACKGROUND:
- A minimum of a Master's Degree (or foreign equivalent) in forestry or environmental management, water management, landscape conservation (marine or terrestrial), global climate change, environmental economics, international development, public/business administration, governance, or relevant fields of study related to the sector of the project.
- At least seven years of experience in senior-level management positions for donor-funded international development projects.
- Senior-level management experience on large and complex projects ($10M+) strongly preferred.
- A minimum of five years of Nepal experience related to biodiversity, natural resource management, or related issues.
- At least five years of demonstrated experience in senior-level roles for USAID projects; Deputy Chief of Party experience preferred.
- Experience with development of government ministries and ability to foster and maintain good working relationships with senior officials.
- A strong knowledge of the cultural and power dynamics in Nepal.
- Demonstrated competence in negotiation and communication.
- Proven expertise in delivering technical presentations.
- Knowledge of USAID policies and procedures as related to project management required.
- Knowledge of the political, social, cultural, environmental, and development context of Nepal.
- Strong leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills, including proven ability to develop and communicate a common vision among diverse partners and lead a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural team.
- Ability to build coalitions and networks that can provide synergies and sustainable solutions for the program.
- Demonstrated ability to create and maintain effective working relations and coalition-building among host country government personnel, stakeholders, NGO partners, and international donor agencies.
- Strong interpersonal, writing, and oral presentation skills in English.
- Ability to work independently and manage a high-volume workflow.
About Winrock International
Winrock International is a recognized leader in U.S. and international development with a focus on social, agricultural and environmental issues. Inspired by its namesake, Winthrop Rockefeller, Winrock combines scientific and technical expertise with entrepreneurial innovation to deliver market-based solutions that improve lives around the world. Winrock’s mission is to empower the disadvantaged, increase economic opportunity and sustain natural resources across the globe.
Learn more about our projects: www.winrock.org