Terms of Reference
Position: WASH Program Manager
Reports to: Head of Rakhine Programs
Location: Based in Sittwe, Rakhine State with frequent travel to field sites (Myebon, Mrauk U or other locations in Rakhine State)
Duration: 6 months (with possibility of extension)
About: Relief International (RI) is a leading global change organization and home to teams of humanitarian activist-professionals committed to transforming adversity into renewal for the world’s most vulnerable populations. By partnering with beneficiaries and communities on the front-lines, RI innovatively bridges the gap between immediate relief and long-term community development.
As WASH Program Manager, you will be responsible for overseeing and monitoring all WASH activities as part of Relief International’s program in Rakhine State. Currently the program is implemented in one township, but this is expected to expand over the course of the year. As such, you will provide guidance and technical input on WASH activities in IDP camps, as well as design and implement awareness and capacity building activities for the surrounding township, including follow up on WASH infrastructure and hygiene promotion for recently relocated IDP populations. You will strengthen the WASH structure within the camps in consultation with camp management and volunteers. You will participate actively in the WASH cluster, and liaise closely with UNICEF and other WASH actors as needed. You will provide technical input to new proposals and overall RI strategy, particularly with respect to expansion of WASH in Rakhine State. You will design and carry out an implementation plan for WASH in new areas, as needed. You will directly manage a team of 3 national staff and build their capacity to carry out the program activities independently, as well as recruit and train the necessary staff to implement RI expansion of WASH programming.
POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage quality project implementation, including allocation of resources and ensuring that appropriate controls are maintained at all levels by working with field staff.
- Ensure all Rakhine WASH projects are completed on time, within budget, and achieve their objectives.
- Provide adequate support to WASH programs including, but not limited to, strategic vision and technical input and advice.
- Ensure the proper allocation of resources and maintenance of appropriate controls at all levels with field staff.
- Monitor project implementation, communication, and reporting both internally and externally, in coordination with Head of Rakhine Programs.
- Ensure that you and your team know and follow relevant donor rules and regulations.
- Support the timely delivery of program activities (for example, monitoring against log frames, individual performance management work plans) and oversee delivery of the project objectives
- Ensure activities comply with appropriate national (WASH Cluster and government policy) and international standards (SPHERE) and RI local WASH strategy, and are focused on improving the environmental health conditions of the beneficiaries
- Prepare technical designs and bills of quantities for WASH activities and structures
- Ensure that WASH Activities are implemented as per design, standards, and schedule, agreed with RI management, donors and WASH Cluster recommendations
- Map out areas for project intervention in coordination with local community and government
- Organize and supervise the procurement tasks, and identify suitable local contractors for supply of construction material
- Manage project cycle budgets and donor reports related to this project
- Supervise and manage social mobilization and beneficiary selection processes
- Conduct regular visits to the field office project sites to coordinate with field staff and/or monitor activities with the donor.
- Manage, coordinate, and lead the social and WASH technical team, including WASH engineers and hygiene officers
- Manage and build the capacity of the WASH team to ensure that team members are effective and efficient; provide feedback to staff to ensure optimal performance.
- Provide technical guidance to the national staff, through coaching, and promote and organize national staff capacity building and development.
- Identify learning and training opportunities for staff and partners and work as a mentor and role model.
Reporting and data management
- Ensure quality and timely reports to the donors are prepared and submitted in coordination with the Yangon office. Maintain linkages with donors and provide, as needed, informal updates.
- Ensure compliance with RI policies and regulations.
- Provide internal program reports and regular situation reports that are timely, professionally written, and meet information requirements as needed by RI and as required by donors.
- Represent Relief International in relevant Clusters and Sectors in Sittwe.
- Improve/strengthen coordination of Relief International’s work with the relevant ministries, sectors and other protection agencies.
Program planning and development; Implementation of best practices
- Provide technical input on WASH to RI short-, medium-, and long-range strategic plans, in line with RI’s program objectives.
- Assess other implementing agencies activities to identify gaps and overlap, as needed.
- Ensure coordination with Head of Rakhine Programs to maintain effective communications with Yangon office regarding program development, funding agreements, and staffing.
- Identify opportunities program partnerships with external agencies.
- Provide technical input on WASH in the design of new relevant programs.
- Ensure recognized international best practices and Relief International policies are applied to all RI work with children, through collaboration with RI Child Protection team.
- Ensure WASH program products and lessons learned are maintained within the Relief International country program.
- Build staff capacities on WASH in emergencies.
- Backstop other program managers or Head of Rakhine Response, as necessary.
- At least 2 years experience implementing WASH programs
- University degree in engineering preferred (or relevant WASH technical qualifications)
- Experience designing and supervising construction of:
- sanitation infrastructure (latrines, solid waste treatment systems)
- water delivery systems (pumps, gravity-feed)
- water treatment systems
- Ability to live and function as a leader and team player at a high capacity within a collaborative organizational structure
- Logistical planning and problem-solving skills
- Highly organized and systems-oriented
- Good security and safety management skills preferred
- Willingness to live in a challenging setting (this is an unaccompanied position)
- Demonstrated written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated report writing and donor relations skills
- Demonstrated budget and expense management skills
- Demonstrated project cycle management skills, inclusive of workplan, timeline, deliverables, and budget tracking and course correction
- Excellent command of English
- Understanding of the political and cultural context in Myanmar preferred
- Myanmar experience preferred
We would like to share Relief International’s Values with you:
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities. We value:
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation