Greece nationals: Senior Officer (WASH Sector Co-chair)
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries, the IRC aims to restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure.
In response to the influx of refugees in Greece, the IRC Hellas has been working in Greece since June 2015 and is currently present in Athens, Lesvos, Chios and Samos islands with programs on the sectors of Environmental Health, Protection, Livelihoods and Mental Health.
SCOPE OF WORK
The position holder will support the coordination of the WASH Working Group (WG) in Mytilene, Lesvos Island in coordination with UNICEF who chairs the WG. S/He will be based on Lesvos island and reports to the Environmental Health Manager.
Coordination and Promoting Joint Action:
- Facilitate the WASH WG meeting in coordination with UNICEF and assist with coordination duties which includes liaising with WASH members via email, telephone and in person
- Fully participate in coordination forums in Lesvos to represent the WASH WG sector, these may include at Protection, Medical and MHPSS sector coordination meetings, inter sector coordinating group meetings, government forums etc. to promote engagement of relevant humanitarian actors including government actors and make sure that WASH is mainstreamed in all sectors.
- Decide, set up and facilitate proactively emergency meetings, pro-actively identify and build strategic linkages with other groups
- Collaborate with relevant stakeholders on Lesvos to ensure that WASH is part of joint assessments and responses
- Identify focal points to engage with other relevant sectors for WASH risk mitigation in cooperation with the WASH chair
- Reinforce and monitor WASH working groups or focal points in collaboration with the relevant stakeholders related to WASH to ensure that WASH interventions and information covers all areas where PoCs are located on the island
Technical Leadership and Capacity Building:
- Contribute to development of WASH Strategy for Lesvos, support development of Action plans for the strategy including dissemination of the strategy to all WASH partners and all relevant stakeholders
- Support IRC WASH Manager develop tailored Action Plans in line with Lesvos WASH strategy
- Develop and or update Standard Operational Procedures for WASH interventions in Lesvos
- Promote shared knowledge and understanding of WASH guiding principles and globally endorsed tools for effective WASH program management including SPHERE minimum standards
- Assist in the assessment of WASH actors capacity gaps that hinder quality and or coverage of WASH interventions
- Develop/adapt as well as facilitate trainings to address capacity gaps of WASH partners in Lesvos
- If required, facilitate WASH mainstreaming training for other sector response
- Contribute to development of training materials related to coordination mechanism in Lesvos
Information Management and Reporting:
- Contribute to assessment and situational analysis, ensure WASH concerns are included in multi-sector assessments
- Map actors who are supporting/could support WASH interventions and identify gaps and produce a profile of all WASH actors in Lesvos
- Ensure and establish a system for data gathering and reporting through a common tool and prepare standard reports and progress updates for ongoing WASH working groups for inclusion in IRC and UNICEF routine reporting mechanisms
- Pro-actively share information with other actors and group’s members.
- Identify innovative ways for sharing information within the WASH group members and between different working groups.
- Identify key pieces of information that will assist the working group and organizational decision-making with a particular focus on improving humanitarian response in Somalia.
Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Monitoring WASH Programming in Lesvos, develop and regularly update and interagency M&E framework to guide work of WASH coordination and support accountability
- Assist the WASH char to develop simple and value-adding monitoring strategies and tools.
- Identify current monitoring methodologies used by the WASH actors and identify good practices that may be applicable to own area.
- Assist the WASH chair in monitoring and reporting responsibilities and in particular the preparation of reports and products.
- Advanced university degree, specialization in areas such as public health, engineering would consider an asset.
- Demonstrated leadership and management experience.
- Demonstrates commitment to gender equality; able to support partners promote and integrate gender mainstreaming into humanitarian programming Experience in WASH Sub Group Coordination will be valued
- Specialized experience addressing WASH at the international level including in a humanitarian context will be valued
- Applies critical thinking and problem solving to create innovative WASH programming to guide partners
- Exhibits empathy and positive interpersonal skills, including cultural competence Proven communication and interpersonal skills, IT literacy, as well as organizational skills and time-management.
- Good negotiation skills and emotional intelligence
- Capability of delivering results on time, even under stress.
- Proficient use of Greek and English
Working Environment: The position will be based 100% on Lesvos.
Disclaimer Clause: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with the position.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.