WASH Project Manager
SI is present in North-East Nigeria since 2016 and is currently operating in 4 bases across Borno State (Maiduguri, Monguno, Ngala, and Dikwa) with outreach capacities across all BAY States through its emergency component. Current coordination is based in Maiduguri while a representation office is set up in Abuja.
Security and humanitarian situation in both North East as well as epidemic outbreaks continue to affect millions of live in those areas. SI is responding to the humanitarian needs of displaced populations and host communities through Wash, Shelter & NFI, FSL and Emergency activities. Through strategic partnership, SI also promotes integrated approach with health and protection sectors.
The annual budget of the mission was around 9 million euros in 2020 and the mission has potential for development in its current area of intervention as well as in the North Western part of Nigeria where limited actors are currently present.
The mission is fully staffed with 18 international and 200 national personnel with a wide range of profiles. Position is based part in Monguno part in Maiduguri with frequent rotations between the two locations. 65 staff are present in Monguno.
ABOUT THE JOB
Monguno is the largest operational base in Nigeria and represents a significant volume of operations across a multitude of projects from different donors, including consortium.
Primary focus of the mission is on Wash activities and as such requires a technical Wash background but Shelter / NFI and FSL activities are also being implemented and within the scope of responsibilities of the Wash PM
Complex security and regulatory environment that impacts capacity to deliver goods and services to the deep-field base with limited field access and frequent rotations required in Maiduguri
The Program Manager is in charge of implementing and achieving the objectives defined in the proposals (The entire Project Management Cycle).
He/she is in charge of supervising the operational teams allocated to his/her program in his/her area of assignment with the support from the Field Coordinator.
He/she guarantees the proper execution and the quality of the implemented programs and, where appropriate, suggests adjustments or developments to ensure its relevance.
Priorities for the 2/3 first months
- Ensure completion of activities of on-going projects (ECHO, OFDA) and kick-off new expected projects in the area
- Work with coordination program team to develop specific program strategy and program development in the area
- Ensure adequate coordination with programs and finance to facilitate anticipation of procurement and timely delivery
SPECIFIC STAKES AND CHALLENGES
Implementation and operational monitoring
- Plan and oversee the implementation of program that he /she is responsible for, both on a timely matter and within the set technical specifications. Propose adjustments to programs if necessary
- Plan activities and activity cycles for WASH (hiring, purchasing, etc.) in the light of established objectives
- Used the project management, monitoring and evaluation tools for WASH, particularly the planning and monitoring timeline
- Propose and implement quality criteria and monitoring indicators for WASH program
- Support and advise to the base’s logistical department for the purchase of specific materials for WASH activities
- Plan and supervise the WASH program implementation he/she is in charge of, being sure to meet deadlines and adhere to predefined technical specifications
- Supervise and provide support for the WASH managers; monitor and evaluate the implemented WASH activities
- Anticipate any issues linked to carrying out the WASH activities and help to resolve any problems related to the WASH activities
- Use the capitalization tools proposed by Solidarités International
- Participate in the centralization and distribution of procedures, guides and tools linked to the WASH activities
- Capitalize on intervention methods and techniques and on the experiences acquired by Solidarités and other participants in the WASH activities
- Write procurement and handover reports before the end of his/her contract and send it to the appropriate persons on the mission and at headquarters
Human Resources management
- Participate in validating the hiring of national technical staff for activities
- Define the prerequisites for opened WASH positions together with the administrative department; adapt existing job descriptions if required
- Greet and brief the expatriates working on the program
- Identify and pass on any training needs for WASH teams
- Set up technical training depending on WASH operational needs and identified training requirements
- Manage and support the team under his/her responsibility
- Lead work groups and thematic meetings
- Evaluate and assess the performance of colleagues under his/her direct supervision
- Ensure adherence to security regulations by personnel under his/her supervision
Reporting / communications / representation
- Pass upward to the relevant persons any information on the security situation or on any event that could impact Solidarités activities and the safety of the teams
- Draft activity reports and any annexes relating to specific activities for the financial donor reports and/or amendments
- Ensure that all reports are delivered on time and in the correct format
- Maintain a local operational communications network and good relations with local and government authorities, financial donor representatives, UN agencies and other international agencies
- In his/her assignment area, represent Solidarités International’s at meetings or forums concerning the WASH activities
- Represent the organization when asked and/or delegated to do so
- Reply to headquarter information requests regarding specific needs
- In collaboration with the WASH /program coordinator, prepare the administrative documents (MOU, handover, etc.) to be jointly signed with government authorities, communities or partners
- Professional experience: at least 12 months of experience in similar position
- Experience in remote management as well as in volatile security context are an asset
- Reliable, honest,
- Very good organizational skills
- Stress management even in high insecurity context
- Good interpersonal skills (communication), team player,
- People management
- Capacity to delegate
- Languages: fluent in English (additional languages a plus) writing and speaking
- Excellent analytical skills
- Knowledge of Project cycle management, planning and strategic vision
- Excellent knowledge of MS office applications (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
- Academic and practical knowledge of water, sanitation and hygiene.
- Degree in project management or social sciences or other related fields, certificate/training in project management.
SI WILL OFFER YOU
A salaried position
Salary : According to experience, starting from EUR 1980 gross per month (EUR 1800 base salary + 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly)
Monthly Per Diem: USD 600 / month
SI covers accommodation costs and travel expenses between the expatriate's country of residence and the mission.
- 1 break of 7 working days every 3 months + USD 850 allowance (for each break).
- 1 day off per worked month.
These days off, as well as the breaks, are not deducted from the paid leaves that are paid every months with your salary: they are offered by SI.
Social and medical cover:
Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
The candidate will be accommodated in the guesthouse in Monguno while in the field and in the guesthouse in Maiduguri while at coordination level.
The rate for per diem is 600 USD a month in both locations.
Living conditions in Monguno are basic with security restrictions. Power is provided by generator and inverter. Internet is available in both the office and at the GH at all times. Staff arrange their own food and personal hygiene. There is a functional market in Monguno where staff can buy supplies including meat and vegetable. Social life is somehow limited due to context and Covid 19. Visits to other NGOs are possible but within the confines of curfew and Covid 19 guidelines. Access is only by helicopters.
Living conditions in Maiduguri are good, despite the security restrictions. Electricity and internet are available at the office and at the GH at all times. Volley-ball court, ping pong, and some gym equipment are available in the GH. All essential good (food, hygiene etc..) can be bought locally in the small shops around the office, or in the pre-validated supermarket. There is a good social life in Maiduguri, even though it has been slowed down by the Covid-19 context. Visits to other NGOs are possible, as well as some pre-validated places City Star restaurant, ICRC Lezzy Lizard bar.
Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English.
If you have not made up your mind yet, check our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline.