Local recruitment: Engineer
- Review, evaluate, and comment on development applications to ensure Toronto Water infrastructure, and the natural environment are managed effectively.
- Coordinate the review, comments and input from across Toronto Water on special projects, Environmental Assessment Studies, Secondary Plans, Avenue Studies and other planning studies led by other divisions and agencies.
- Provide technical advice and expertise to support other units within Toronto Water.
- Conduct technical problem investigations and participate in conducting studies and analysis for effective solution of complex engineering problems ensuring that such analysis takes into account developments within the field, corporate policies and practices, legislation and initiatives by other levels of government.
- Prepare Terms of Reference, agreements, and effectively manage timelines, scope of work, budgets, and quality for consultant assignments.
- Provide engineering expertise with preparation and review of reports, maintenance and monitoring plans, and analysis of data to ensure infrastructure management and environmental objectives met.
- Administer the Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks' (MECP) Transfer of Review Program for the City of Toronto through the review of designs of proposed sewers, storm water management designs to ensure that they are in accordance with the MECP's Guidelines.
- Administer the City's review and approval of watermain designs under the Drinking Water Permit License Program.
- Contribute as an effective team member, and develop and monitor standard operating procedures to ensure consistency and a high level of engineering service.
- Prepare Committee and Council reports and presentations to senior staff, elected officials and the public.
- Formulate sound recommendations to senior staff and maintain effective relationships with councilllors, public, consultants, government agencies, developers, suppliers and contractors.
- Develop and monitor memoranda of understanding, service level agreements, and other agreements and arrangements with various city divisions, stakeholders and project partners related to stormwater management, water resources and environmental protection, water distribution and wastewater collection, and water and wastewater treatment systems.
- Must be a qualified engineer as defined by the Professional Engineers of Ontario.
- Considerable experience in municipal engineering with experience in the design, construction, operation, needs assessment and planning of water distribution, wastewater collection, storm drainage and storm water management infrastructure.
- Experience in the preparation of environmental study reports, technical reports, reports to council and responses to inquiries by external agencies and the public.
- Analytical and problem solving skills and ability to communicate both orally and in writing and develop solid internal and external working relationships.
You must also have:
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of water resources (including hydrology and hydraulics), stormwater management, and sewer, watercourse and water distribution systems design and analysis.
- Knowledge of the City of Toronto's Planning Act application process and functional servicing and servicing study requirements.
- Experience in the computer modelling of stormwater management facilities, storm sewers, sanitary sewers and water distribution systems.
- Ability to apply sound engineering judgement and problem solving skills.
- Ability to participate in and operate as a fully accountable member of a multidisciplinary work team.
- Ability to read, interpret and report on engineering plans and drawings, specifications correspondence, reports and other documents.
- Ability to interact effectively with consulting engineers, city staff, MECP staff, planners, contractors, architects, general public and elected officials on all matters arising from an assigned project.
- Time management and project management skills.
- Knowledge of City by-laws and policies regarding water, wastewater and stormwater issues.
- Familiarity with Federal and Provincial regulations and requirements including, but not limited to the Ontario Water Resources Act, Environmental Protection Act, Environmental Assessment Act, Federal Fisheries Act, Clean Water Act, Procedure F5-5 and MOE’s Stormwater BMP Manual, Safe Drinking Water Act and Sustainable Water & Sewer System Act (Bill 175), Municipal Act, Land Use Planning Act and the Development Charges Act and Water Opportunities & Water Conservation Act.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
The City is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to creating a workplace culture of inclusiveness that reflects the diverse residents that we serve. Learn more about the City’s commitment to employment equity.
The City of Toronto is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive organization. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require Code-protected accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs. Disability-related accommodation during the application process is available upon request. Learn more about the City’s Hiring Policies and Accommodation Process.
Job ID: 13145
Job Category: Engineering & Technical
Division & Section: Toronto Water, TW Water Infrastructure Management
Work Location: Metro Hall, 55 John street
Job Type & Duration: Full-time, 1 permanent vacancy & 1 Temporary (9 month) vacancy
Salary: $88,979.80 - $104,540.80, PSG TM1600, wage grade 6.5
Shift Information: Monday to Friday, 35 hours per week
Number of Positions Open: 2