Iraq nationals: Hygiene promotion assistant
Level 3 – the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people.
ROLE PURPOSE :
Being directly responsible for the implementation of hygiene promotion activities of Save The Children in the targeted communities in the Muqdadiya/Diyala province. The post is specifically oriented towards the WASH emergency response in the context of the crisis Iraqi IDP’s, and special attention will be made on the integration of the WASH sector in other core sector of Save the Children such as nutrition, food security, health, education and child protection.
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
• No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
• All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
• Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: WASH Officer
Staff reporting to this post: Field Hygiene Promoters
Budget Responsibilities: None
Role Dimensions: Public health, hygiene promotion, data collection and management, community mobilization, campaigning, training (Children and Adult ) etc…
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY :
• Participate in the initial needs assessment at target communities level: carry out personal interview at household level, facilitation of focus group discussions, visits to sites and infrastructures, and meeting with key members of community.
Program design and implementation:
• Setting up and follow-up of hygiene promotion activities such as:
o Direct animation of community hygiene promotion sessions
o Identification, training and follow-up of activities of community hygiene promotion volunteers
o Training of Trainers in hygiene promotion (to WASH committee members, teachers, health workers ...),
o Setting up of children clubs and hygiene promotion in schools
o Supervision of cleaning campaigns
o Promotion of household's latrine construction according to the methodology defined by the project.
o Ensure the water chlorination and daily FRC checking
o Coordinate hygiene promotion activities with other actors at Save the children operation areas
• Ensure community mobilization on all WASH sector related issues
• Oversee the distribution of hygiene, cleaning water tanks and water treatment kit for health centers, schools and families.
• Develop techniques for home water treatment in the target communities
• Build the capacity of hygiene promotion volunteers at the target communities
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning:
• Ensure that the hygiene promotion activities are made based on the quality standards established by Save the Children through quality checklists
• Participate in the implementation of KAP (Knowledge, Attitude and Practice) and initial and final PDM (Post Distribution Monitoring) for kits distributed)
• Conduct water quality analyzes at household level (residual chlorine, bacteriological), in particular to assess the effectiveness of home water treatment, and report results to Hygiene Promotion Officer.
• Weekly collection and reporting of data necessary for the consolidation of project and strategic standard indicators (number of beneficiaries, number and type of activity performed, results of water analyzes performed ...)
• Monitoring of hygiene promotion activities realized by local partners of Save the Children such as the local NGOs, and participate in building their capacity.
• Weekly (or each time necessary) written and oral report for line manager,
Integration, coordinations and transversal aspects
• Work with other team members of save the children (WASH and non-WASH) working in the same communities, to ensure the integration and complementarity of the different sector of the intervention.
• Ensure the inclusion of gender, child protection, HIV, environment and other crosscutting issues to the design, implementation and development of WASH activities, and ensure that activities take into account the needs of specific groups and individuals, especially children, elderly and disabled people
• To perform any other work related activities as agreed with your line management.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (SCI Values in Practice)
• holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
• Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
• sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
• widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
• builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
• values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
• Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
• develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
• Willing to take disciplined risks.
• honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
Graduated from a university or institute related to Public health and/or communication and training and social science
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
• Professional experience of 1 years minimum, Preferred to be in a field related to public health, communication and behavior change
• Excellent facilitation skills
• Ability to listen and adapt,
• Good interpersonal skills,
• Computer literate, knowledge and experience of working on Ms. Package (Excel, Word, Power Point are required, others are preferred). Any other computerized/electronic program which can support better delivery of services.
• Working ability with tight deadlines and in a fast growing program environment.
• Commitment to working through systems of community participation and accountability.
• Oral and written fluency in local Arabic is a must, good level of English is required, & Kurdish is an asset.
• Ability to work simultaneously with multiple tasks, willingness and ability to work efficiently with a wide diverse group of people.
• Experience with international NGOs.
• Good knowledge in the WASH related sectors
• Direct experience in the geographical area of intervention of Save the Children.
• Iraqi Nationality.
• Priority will be given to applicants from program location.
The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
Health and Safety
The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
Additional job responsibilities
The job duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the Post holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.