World Resources Institute is a global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity and human well-being. Our 500 experts and staff work with partners in more than 50 countries; we have offices in Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, and the United States.
WRI is consistently ranked as the top global Think Tank working on environmental issues. In January 2016, WRI was again named the #1 environmental think tank in the world in a survey conducted by the University of Pennsylvania’s ‘2015 Global Go To Think Tanks index’.
Internships at WRI provide opportunities for motivated young professionals to learn from our experts and participate in engaging work at the intersection of environment and development. WRI provides many internship opportunities throughout the year in all of our programs and offices. We seek interns with diverse backgrounds and who are passionate about the environment to help us make a direct global impact.
The Landscape Restoration – GIS Intern will contribute to two projects with the Landscape Restoration programme in India – building the Map Tenure tool and identifying the potential for landscape restoration interventions in WRI India’s pilot districts in the state of Madhya Pradesh.
WRI India’s Landscape Restoration programme aims to increase tree cover to boost productivity of degraded forests and agriculture ecosystems into well-functioning landscapes that enhance economic opportunities and generate positive outcomes for its vast rural population, by improving crop yield, water quality, preventing soil erosion, improving the farming communities’ resilience to climate change and improving food security.
The Landscape Restoration – GIS Intern will directly contribute to the programme objective of scaling landscape restoration in India and her/his responsibilities will include –
Geo-referencing imageries and digitizing the required features from the images as required for the project purpose.
- Rectify shapefiles obtained from various sources on its geo-referencing, digitizing errors such as incomplete or overlapping polygons.
- Transfer to spatial format from excel sheet and such data.
- Download open source satellite imageries required for the project sites and geo-reference them.
- Use image processing software to perform all analysis required in restoration mapping such as vegetation analysis, changes in land use etc.
- Travel to field sites and take training data sets various land use classes, mark out important geographical features and corroborate with the geospatial information.
- Perform all mapping and GIS analysis work as advised by the supervisors.
For Madhya Pradesh landscape work
- Rectifying village boundaries of five districts for the Map tenure tool.
- Digitizing from various imageries, toposheets, maps by firstly geo-referencing them and generating shape files for various features like forests, compartment boundary, soil type, irrigated areas etc. to be used in ROAM.
Degree: Master’s degree in earth science, environmental sciences or related subject with specialisation in GIS and Remote Sensing.
- Proficient in ArcGIS products
- Proficient in Image processing
- Proven ability to take initiative and responsibility and deliver high quality results in short period.
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- Great written and verbal communication skills
- Great time-management skills and a flexible attitude
- Experience of field work in data collection like collection of GPS points for land use classes.
- Experience of exploring open source data sources and data procurement process from government sources.
Final candidate will be required to take a writing test
Duration: 6 months with the possibility of extension based on project requirements
Start/End Months: February – Sep 2017