HELVETAS Swiss Intercooperation is a leading international development organisation anchored in Switzerland. Our vision is a just world in which all men and women determine the course of their lives in dignity and security, using environmental resources in a sustainable manner.
As per May 2017 or upon agreement, we are looking for an enthusiastic, goal-oriented and pragmatic Governance Advisor based in Bern, Switzerland.
GOVERNANCE ADVISOR (70% – 90%)
The Governance Advisor is a core member of our small and dynamic Governance and Peace team, which provides advisory services, analysis and applied research for HELVETAS programmes worldwide and external clients. Our working area covers the themes of local governance and decentralisation, accountability and political empowerment, the enabling environment for civil society, peacebuilding and the governance of natural resources (particularly land and water). We aim to contribute to building peaceful and just states and societies and focus on
- Empowering citizens and strengthening civil society to raise their voices, transform conflicts, hold power holders to account and participate effectively in decisions that affect their lives.
- Working with public institutions to engage with multiple stakeholders, plan and manage public resources more efficiently and transparently, and effectively deliver quality public services.
As a member of the Governance and Peace team, your work would cover a wide range of topics, with this position focussing on natural resource governance (particularly land and water governance), gender and social inclusion, and local governance.
Your tasks, carried out both as a member of a team and individually, would include:
- Providing tailored technical and strategic advisory services and analysis to HELVETAS programmes and projects and external clients, as well as partner governments at local and national levels, civil society and other stakeholders
- Conducting policy analysis and supporting the design and formulation of local development policies, programmes and projects
- Facilitating learning processes, including coordinating practical research across several countries and documenting findings for various audiences
- Developing operational guidance (tools, manuals) for project and program staff, as well as external clients
- Delivering trainings and capacity building (capacity assessment, planning & implementation of capacity building, on-the-job coaching) for a range of internal and external clients
- Building relationships, fostering collaboration and brokering partnerships among different stakeholders
- Monitoring and evaluations of internal and external programs and projects
- Communicating about the outcomes of HELVETAS’ work with different public, policy and professional audiences through a variety of platforms and networks
- A Master’s degree in development studies, political science, international relations, anthropology or in another area relevant to the position
- At least 6 years of experience in international development cooperation with assignments that are thematically relevant, including long-term assignments of 2-3 years in the Global South/East.
- At least 2 years of experience with short-term consultancy assignments providing technical and strategic advisory services in the context of development cooperation would be an asset.
- Knowledgeable about natural resource governance and gender and social inclusion, with a proven track record of providing advisory services and analysis in these fields
- Experienced with participatory learning methodologies, political economy and power analysis, and skilled in capacity and organisational development
- An excellent communicator with superior interpersonal skills, including the ability to effectively cooperate with a variety of stakeholders in diverse contexts, and build and maintain partnerships
- Skilled in producing written and visual/graphic knowledge products for a range of different stakeholders and clients
- Skilled in facilitation, process guidance and accompaniment
- Adaptable to working environments in a variety of international contexts and available for regular travel, including to remote areas and to fragile and conflict affected countries
- Experienced in project cycle management, with a particular focus on monitoring, evaluation and learning
- Able to speak and write English fluently, as well as either French or Spanish. Additional working languages are an asset
We offer challenging and meaningful work in a supportive and diverse environment, attractive employment conditions and a workplace in Bern (close to the main station).
We look forward to receiving your complete application, including a letter of motivation, CV, work certificates and diplomas by February 13, 2017. Please send your electronic application to [email protected]. For additional information and informal inquiries, please contact Jesper Lauridsen, Senior Governance Advisor ([email protected]), or visit our website at www.helvetas.org.