Editorial Data Manager
The Aquaya Institute (Aquaya) is an independent, non-profit research and consulting organization dedicated to safe, equitable, and sustainable water and sanitation in developing countries. Our mission is to improve public health by reducing the burden of waterborne diseases. Aquaya was established in 2005 to provide development agencies, governments, and implementing organizations with a trustworthy and agile resource for conducting rigorous research, experimentation, and evaluation.
Aquaya has completed projects spanning public health, economics, technology development, and social entrepreneurship in over 20 countries of Africa, Asia, and Latin America. We have published or contributed to nearly 30 peer-reviewed research articles and produced numerous other reports and publications.
Aquaya maintains an office in Nairobi, Kenya. Staff members are also located in the US, Europe and other African countries. Many of our projects are carried-out in collaboration with academic research groups and expert consultants.
About the position
We are recruiting an Editorial Data Manager for a full-time position based in Nairobi. The Editorial Data Manager will report to Aquaya’s Senior Operations Manager, but will work closely with staff across the organization. The primary function of the Editorial Data Manager is to oversee Junior Editors who will be collecting, organizing, and analyzing information about international water, sanitation, and hygiene related data. This information will feed into Project W, a data hub and future home for comprehensive WASH analytics and sector knowledge and contribute to inherent Aquaya intelligence assets. We are searching for an individual who is detail-oriented, has excellent communication skills, and is eager to learn new methods and technologies. The Editorial Data Manager will be responsible for the following key activities:
- Assist in hiring of Junior Editors.
- Supervise a team of Junior Editors.
- Assist in development of best practices and documentation to train and mentor Junior Editors.
- Identify and describe water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) data from international and domestic stakeholders.
- Support the establishment of methods for analytical enhancements to the information.
Criteria for the position
The following qualifications are necessary for this position:
- Master’s degree – preference for studies in data/computer science, or environmental science/engineering.
- Familiarity with the water and sanitation sector, including international institutions and typical domestic entities.
- 2+ years of work experience working closely with a small team.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Impeccable attention to detail and accuracy.
- Motivated self-starter with a strong results orientation.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work in fast-paced, unstructured environment.
- Advanced Excel Workbook and technology skills.
- Commitment to living in Nairobi on a full-time basis. Working remotely or maintaining a part-time residency in Nairobi are not options for this position. Some considerations will be made during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Fluency in English.
- Ability to successfully manage multiple and changing priorities in a fast-paced, dynamic environment, while maintaining a positive and productive attitude and a good sense of humor!
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time position, with an initial 1-month probationary period as a contractor. Successful candidates will be offered full-time employment following the first month. Aquaya offers competitive salaries that are commensurate with experience. Candidates successful beyond the first month will be eligible for benefits, including medical insurance and enrollment in a pension plan.
Please submit your resume via e-mail to email@example.com along with a thoughtful cover letter. The deadline for submissions is April 15, 2021. There will be an additional screening survey and activity once your resume is received.
In your cover letter, please explain why you are interested in Aquaya’s mission and activities. Please also tell us why your skills, background, and accomplishments make you the ideal candidate for this position, specifically highlighting your experience. It should include your experience managing and describing data and experience in the WASH sector.
Please note that we will not consider applications without a cover letter. In your e-mail subject line, please specify “Editorial Data Manager 2021”. No phone calls, please.