This position is an exciting opportunity to join a growing organization in developing its global humanitarian practices. The Program Officer will oversee the program development and co-lead the organization in Mozambique in the fields of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene while supervising the implementation of a WASH in Schools program promoting hygiene education in schools, and the implementation of adequate WASH infrastructures to guarantee access to safe water, and COVID prevention basic requirements.
In late January, Cyclone Eloise made landfall in Mozambique, affecting some 176,000 people, killing 6, and displacing over 8,300. Many of Mozambique’s communities were still in the process of recovering from Cyclones Idai and Kenneth, which caused mass destruction just two years before. In addition, the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic situation is particularly challenging in Mozambique, where poor reporting and weak medical systems have exacerbated infection numbers. This is likely to become even more tenuous, as communities seek alternative shelters in evacuation centers. In addition to limited shelter, food, and hygiene items, community members have expressed high levels of concern about contracting COVID-19.
2) Job Purpose
The Program Officer WASH expert will supervise and lead the implementation of all IsraAID WASH related activities, including but not limited to:
- Define and implement all WASH related activities in 2-3 Schools in the Sofala province;
- Ensure the project is implemented in line with donor proposal, and IsraAID, donor, and international standards, and within agreed budget and timeframe;
- Ensure the quality of construction and trainings. Provide guidance on future improvements;
- Represent the organization vis-à-vis relevant stakeholders, including governmental agents, local partners, and WASH/ Education cluster members, including the possibility of co-leading the WASH cluster.
3) Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee the implementation of WASH program, ensuring high quality and timely delivery of all program activities and deliverables and ensuring that the objectives are ultimately met.
- Prepare program and donor reports on project activities in compliance with internal and external requirements.
- Ensure that the overall strategy ultimately meets communities' needs and that open communication is maintained at all times.
- Establish accountability mechanisms ensuring that feedback is incorporated into program design and learning.
- Ensure minimum standards are maintained in accordance with the Sphere standards.
Representation, Advocacy & Organisational Learning:
- Participates in the inter-agencies forums for WASH sector coordination, in Mozambique, through support and co-leadership of the groups meetings;
- Pro-actively identify advocacy opportunities, funding opportunities, case studies and research opportunities which link with wider organisational strategic objectives, and turn these into action.
- Play a leadership role in shaping WASH communications and media priorities in line with thematic priorities, acting as a spokesperson when required.
- Represent the organization at the governmental level, with partners, and in relevant clusters.
4) Skills, Experience, and Requirements.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree required: Bachelor’s in water/Environment engineering, Water and Soil or any other related field preferred.
- A minimum of two years of experience working in the water and sanitation field
- Advanced knowledge of water and sanitation solutions and training, the use of a variety of water equipment including emergency mobile water treatment and storage unit, sanitation kits, water treatment chemicals, pipelines, basic knowledge of treatment of sewages as well as concrete storages, etc.
- Previous experience in project management.
- Experience in the management of internationally funded development programs is an advantage.
- Fluent in English and Portuguese with the ability to speak and write clear and well-argued assessment and project reports in English.
- Familiar with the context of access to safe water in the departments of Mozambique
- Demonstrated depth and breadth in participatory methods to engage local communities in needs assessments, design and implementation of local, culturally acceptable water and sanitation interventions.
- Demonstrated ability to set up monitoring & evaluation systems in small-medium complex programs.
- Experience at technical level representation and in developing and negotiating successful partnerships with Partners and government representatives.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Proven ability to influence change at an operational and strategic level.
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy.
- Capacity and willingness to be flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
- Commitment to the aims and principles of IsraAID. In particular, a good understanding of
IsraAID’s mandate and the ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support.
How to apply
To apply for this position, please send your CV and a letter, not longer than 750 words, addressing the requirements on this job offer to
Deadline: March 23rd, 23:00, Mozambique time (GTM+2)
Use the following title as subject: CV_Name_WASH Program Officer
We regret to inform you that only candidates eligible for an interview will be notified