Bangladesh nationals: National Consultant (WASH (Water Supply))
Purpose of Assignment:
UNICEF with DPHE and NGO partners piloted innovative approach to address the arsenic issue with the arsenic mitigation approach. From August 2012 to 2017, UNICEF implemented the arsenic safe village project in eight highly contaminated Upazilas in Sylhet, Gopalganj, Comilla and Narail Districts. A total 233 villages in the project areas have been declared Arsenic-safe and about 2,200 arsenic safe water points constructed following arsenic mitigation protocol. The aim is to declare more 10 unions arsenic safe with ODF and hygiene by the end of this project (August 2021).
There was significant interruptions in the field level activities due to COVID 19 pandemic and locked down situation which is creating additional pressure to achieve the targets on time. To provide the necessary support to the government and the WASH Section in implementation the rest of the water points including completion of seven piped water schemes, 19 AIRPs, additional PSF and CRWHs in compliance with agreed technical specifications and protocol, as well as to fast track the sanitation and hygiene activities at field level there is a need to recruit a national consultant to support DPHE and WASH Section in Dhaka and in the field. In addition, to establish O&M system for the sustainability of new WASH facilities, verification and declaration of 10 unions as ‘Arsenic Safe Union with ODF and water safety’ and skill development of local DPHE and Implementing Agencies (IA’s) the services of national consultants are very much required.
The main purpose of the assignment is to support DPHE and WASH Section to construct WASH facilities in three Upzilas within a very short period of time and at the same time fast track sanitation and hygiene activities through IA’s, so that that 10 unions are ready to declare as arsenic safe union at the end of the project by August 2021. The specific objectives for this assignment are to:
- Initiate plans for establishment of inclusive targeted activities in three upazilas in close collaboration of respective Government authorities (PD, DPHE), implementing agencies, Zonal WASH colleagues and UNICEF Dhaka;
- Developing six months workplan with DPHE contractors based on the target endorsed by DPHE and Unicef in relation with DPHE in order to fast-track the construction of safe water points in three targeted SIDA upazilas
- Fast track and ensure the constructed WASH facilities comply with agreed technical specification and protocol by visiting at least 10% of water points during construction for time tracking and monitor the quality of workmanship).
- Monitor and follow up the to three Implementing agencies to fast track the sanitation and hygiene activities at field level through at least two field visits per month for each agency and provide relevant and actionable recommendations Agencies should comply with
- Submit monthly monitoring report shared with PD, DPHE and Unicef with recommendations & follow up actions.
- Compile and share the feedback from 3rd party monitoring agency and shared with relevant partners, DPHE and Unicef and follow up to take necessary corrective measures on time
- Assist organizing SIDA coordination meeting at PD Office, DPHE, Review Partner’s progress towards deliverables, identify gaps, provide update to UNICEF and DPHE and ensure technical support to mitigate the gaps.
- Provide technical guidance to local DPHE and IA’s on sustainable O&M and water safety planning through technical discussions, on job training, field monitoring and follow up.
- Assist UNICEF staff in compilation of progress report, data analysis, prepare human story /case study and other documentation as necessary
- Finalize the Arsenic Safe Union declaration criteria/ checklists through consultation with DPHE, IA’s and UNICEF staff
- Facilitate verification and declaration of 10 unions as ‘Arsenic Safe Union with ODF and water safety’ with the Upazila team formed for verification and certification.
Minimum Qualifications/Knowledge/Expertise/Skills required:
Masters/Advanced University degree in Civil/ Environmental/ Water Resources Engineering, Hydrogeology or equivalent with specialization in groundwater studies groundwater quality:
- At least 8 years of relevant experience in the development field, preferably in the water and sanitation sector;
- Strong field implementation experiences of the water supply, sanitation, hygiene, water safety plan, water quality in rural and peri urban areas in Bangladesh
- Experience in arsenic mitigation projects will be considered as an added skill
- Excellent knowledge of spreadsheets and graphics and interpreting data for implementers and Policy makers
- Proven analytical and planning skills and ability to think strategically.
- Excellent presentation skills, both in terms of written and oral communication.
- Willingness to travel to rural and semi-urban areas of the country.
- Experience in making coordination among different stakeholders
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Passion and commitment to UNICEF’s mission and professional values.
- Excellent spoken and written skills in Bangla and English.
- Good knowledge of MS office (Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
Duration: 132 day over six months
Work modality: Office based
Fee: Total Taka 1,214,400.00 (Taka 9200 per day)
Travel & DSA: Will be paid at actual basis according to UNICEF Policy
Payment Method: Payment will be made upon successful completion of each deliverable and on certification from Supervisor
Advertised: 18 Mar 2021 Bangladesh Standard Time
Deadline: 31 Mar 2021 Bangladesh Standard Time