Water Quality Technician
Columbia Riverkeeper (Riverkeeper) is a successful nonprofit organization dedicated to protecting and restoring the Columbia River watershed. Riverkeeper has offices in Hood River and Portland, Oregon. Riverkeeper is a leader in high-profile campaigns to protect our region from fossil fuel infrastructure, toxic pollution, the Hanford Nuclear Site, and other threats facing Columbia River communities and salmon habitat.
Location: Portland, OR
Status: Paid Internship (part-time, temporary)
Hours & Duration: 10 to 12 hours per month from May through September 2021. The work is independent and the schedule is flexible.
Help promote healthy river contact and inform the public on safe places to swim. Riverkeeper seeks a responsible individual to serve as our E.coli technician from May to September (10-12 hours/month) in Portland, OR. Technicians will become experts in E.coli monitoring techniques and methods. Prior experience with E.coli monitoring is not required. Attention to detail and ability to work independently is a must. Experience gained through this position will greatly benefit persons looking to further a career in water resources.
● Collect water samples from Columbia River sites twice monthly to test for E.coli
● Process samples at Riverkeeper’s Portland, OR office
● Follow a strict sample collection and processing protocol
● Enter data and manage Riverkeeper’s E. coli database
● File accurate and timely data report with the Water Quality Director
● Post-up-to-date results on Riverkeeper’s Swim Guide app
● Ability to swim and cognizant of safety precautions when wading in the river
● Work independently and with limited oversight
● Detail-oriented regarding equipment, field protocols, and data entry
● Passion for rivers and clean water
● Represent Riverkeeper in a friendly and professional manner
● Valid driver’s license and willingness to drive to multiple sites along the Columbia River to collect samples
● Proficiency with Microsoft Office, particularly Microsoft Excel
Compensation: $20 per hour not to exceed $1,500 total. Reimbursement for travel mileage is available.
How to apply:
Send an email to Lorri Epstein, . Please include the position title and location in the email subject line. The email should include a single pdf attachment that contains a cover letter, resume, and a list of three references. Please label your single pdf file in the following format: YOUR LAST NAME, YOUR FIRST NAME.
Columbia Riverkeeper is committed to creating a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation