Consultant – Learning study on sanitation livelihoods for urban collectives
3ie, New Delhi
The International Initiative for Impact Evaluation (3ie) promotes evidence-informed equitable, inclusive, and sustainable development. We support the generation and effective use of highquality evidence to inform decision-making and improve the lives of people living in poverty in low- and middle-income countries. We provide guidance and support to produce, synthesise and quality assure evidence of what works, for whom, how, why and at what cost. 3ie is registered as a non-governmental organisation in the United States. It has offices in New Delhi, London and Washington, DC.
3ie, with support from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, will be undertaking a study to glean learnings from recent efforts of state governments to provide employment opportunities to urban Self Help Groups (SHGs) and vulnerable groups (sanitation workers etc.) in the Fecal Sludge Management (FSM) sector.
The study will provide important insights to the National Urban Livelihoods Mission (NULM) to promote sanitation-linked livelihoods for the urban poor and/or community groups or SHGs. It will help inform the national-level policy and guidelines work at NULM and provide evidence-informed insights to state governments in select states (Odisha, and potentially Andhra Pradesh and Telangana) for scale-up of sanitation-livelihoods models.
We are currently seeking an experienced consultant with expertise in the sanitation sector (preferred) or adjacent sectors such as water, and hygiene sectors to support the learning study, managed by 3ie’s evaluation office based in India.
2. Key responsibilities
The consultant will report directly to the evaluation specialist and will be responsible for the tasks outlined below:
• Lead the literature review to guide the analytical and conceptual framework of the study, using targeted search and snowballing techniques around identified themes.
• Participate in partner engagement and support technical discussions to develop the programme theory of change and set the research scope in line with stakeholder expectations.
• Fine-tune the research questions identified by partners and orient them within an established analytical and theoretical framework for the WASH sector with a special focus on issues around gender and equity.
• Inform the content of survey instruments, and travel to study sites for piloting of tools.
• Inform design of a gender-focussed study, with inputs from specialists within and outside 3ie.
• Provide supportive supervision to data collection activities, including recruitment and training of consultants for qualitative data collection.
• Contribute to development of qualitative coding framework for data analysis.
• Guide data analysis and contribute to writing a learning report with clear recommendations on programme design and implementation.
• Support in organising workshops and consultations with key stakeholders; and
• Help identify relevant stakeholders for study-related engagement and dissemination activities and engage with local and national stakeholders to promote uptake and use of study findings.
3. Qualifications and key competencies :
• Post-graduate or graduate degree in Public Health, Behavioural Sciences, Sociology, Psychology, Economics, Public Policy, Public Administration, or related field with an emphasis on research methods
• At least 8-10 years research experience in evaluation of WASH programmes. Additionally, exposure to research on FSM within WASH and urban livelihoods is strongly preferred;
• In-depth understanding of qualitative research methods and the WASH landscape in urban India and how it intersects with gender and equity issues;
• High proficiency in use and application of qualitative software like NVivo for data collation and analysis;
• Excellent skills in communication, time management, teamwork and relationship management;
• Proven ability to provide mentoring support and working effectively, remotely;
• Interpersonal and multicultural sensitivity;
• Proficiency in Telugu and/or Odia is strongly preferred; and
• The consultant should be based in India and willing to travel within country.
4. Eligibility :
3ie will recruit one individual consultant to perform the identified tasks. Applications from firms will not be accepted. 3ie is an equal-opportunity employer committed to equality and diversity. We do not discriminate based on sex, age, religion, ethnicity, caste, sexual orientation or for being differently-abled. We particularly encourage ethnic minorities and differently abled persons to apply.
Our policies and procedures reflect our commitment to safeguarding children and vulnerable adults from abuse. We follow a zero-tolerance policy for any form of bullying or harassment in the workplace.
5. Terms of employment :
Candidate should be available to start work at the earliest. 3ie offers competitive remuneration based on experience and qualifications. The candidate will be paid as per an agreed per day rate for a maximum of 70 days over a period of 12 months. The contract will be valid till 31 March 2022. The candidate can work remotely based on prior agreement/ consultation with the 3ie team.
Domestic travel is expected as part of this assignment, situation permitting. Any actual travel will be in accordance with 3ie’s travel guidelines, the latest government advisory and safety protocols.
6. How to apply
Incomplete applications, including applications without a cover letter, will not be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.