Senior Natural Resources and Agriculture Specialist
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Environment, Natural Resources and Agriculture Division (EAER) within the East Asia Department. EARD covers two developing member countries: People’s Republic of China and Mongolia. EAER conducts international cooperation for these countries for environment, natural resources, and agriculture sector, through technical assistances, grant projects, loan projects, etc. The position is assigned in the Environment, Natural Resources and Agriculture Division (EAER) within the East Asia Department. EARD covers two developing member countries: People’s Republic of China and Mongolia. EAER conducts international cooperation for these countries for environment, natural resources, and agriculture sector, through technical assistances, grant projects, loan projects, etc.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.Job Purpose
The Senior Natural Resources and Agriculture Specialist will provide substantive inputs to the formulation of policy and strategies to further development of the agriculture and natural resources (ANR) sectors, within a framework of broad policies, and goals. The incumbent will act as the focal point for the division’s rural development, establishing links with key development partners and think tanks operating in the region. The incumbent will report to Director, EAER and will supervise National Staff and Administrative staff.
- Develop and design, process and administer loan and TA projects in agriculture and water sectors. Support the development, processing and administration of loan and TA projects in agriculture and water sectors, possibly with high levels of risk and complexity. Ensure key technical economic, financial and cross-cutting issues are incorporated and implemented in ADB projects and assistance.
- Contribute to the department’s efforts to the implementation of Operational Plan 5: Rural Development and Food Security under Strategy 2030.
- Provide inputs to and help develop the policies and strategies to further advance the agriculture and natural resources sectors, in the context of Strategy 2030. Closely coordinate this effort with the DMCs’ roadmap for achieving sustainable development goals and promote environmentally and socially sustainable agricultural development and rural poverty reduction.
- Undertake and conduct dialogue with government officials and external donor agencies on policy and reform in the agriculture and water resources sector in the DMCs.
- Provide substantive technical inputs and analyses for country programming and contribute to the development of Country Partnership Strategy (CPS) and Business Plans for PRC and Mongolia operations.
- Conduct economic, thematic and sector work in ANR and in the context of environmentally and socially sustainable economic development and poverty reduction.
- Actively coordinate with resident missions and front offices for consistency, integration of policy commitments, and knowledge sharing. Substantially contribute to adding value to lending operations through effective coordinate with the HQ sector division.
- Facilitate effective liaison and coordination with Government on management of ADB-assisted programs and projects in the sector and with development agencies and partners on collaborative work around agriculture and water sectors development.
- Act as the focal point for enhanced regional cooperation and integration in ANR sector. Develop and maintain a suitable network key regional institutions and development agencies operating in the region through active participation in the annual GMS and CAREC regional cooperation programming exercise. Substantially provide technical inputs and recommendations for regional cooperation initiatives.
- Formulate and administer subregional and developing member country (DMC) specific loans, TAs, and sector studies in agriculture and water resource policy and management and related environmental and natural resource management issues.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Master’s degree in Agriculture, Natural Resources, Economics, Environmental Management, or relevant fields. University degree in agriculture, natural resources, economics, environmental management, or related fields combined with specialized experience in similar organization/s, may be considered in lieu of Master’s degree.
- At least 10 years of relevant professional experience in agriculture and senior levels including international work experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required
- Significant expertise within a specific area of ADB's operations (economic, sector or thematic), or breadth across multiple areas with in-depth knowledge within one area
- Credible expert in field of expertise with recognized ability to lead projects and to share relevant knowledge to benefit the broader ADB community, in a way which may further enhance ADB’s ability to:
- Recommend innovative and integrated solutions to address DMCs’ critical issues in the East Asian region, based on wide range of experience and proven best practices
- Successfully structure and implement loan and technical assistance projects in a more cost-effective manner;
- Manage risks more effectively by understanding DMCs, their environment (including the political, social and technical aspects), development priorities and economic / sector / thematic issues
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for International Staff level 6.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.