ERT – WASH Project Manager
Field based position in Juba, with regular travel to field locations across South Sudan. Working and living conditions may be very basic and require great resilience.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
May 2021. Full time, 24 months.
Manage the Medair South Sudan Emergency Response Team’s WASH programme, ensure proposal objectives are met within the appropriate timescales, and that the services delivered are within the overall budget and meet Medair quality standards. Responsibilities also include managing ERT WASH project staff, coordinating with other partners to assess emergencies, designing WASH interventions, preparing project reporting as well as planning and supporting the development of new project proposals.
The goal of the WASH Emergency Response Team is to reduce morbidity and mortality among populations affected by acute emergencies through the provision of water, sanitation and hygiene promotion services. The Emergency Response Team (ERT) works across all states of South Sudan in response to acute emergencies: returnee/refugee influxes, disease outbreaks, displacement due to armed conflict and flooding. The ERT has four sub-teams covering different sectors – WASH, health, nutrition and non-food items/emergency shelter – but teams often work together at field sites. Multiple emergency response sites are active at any given time.
Key Activity Areas
Technical Design and Oversight
- Responsible for the overall management of Medair South Sudan ERT WASH Projects; planning and implementation, project staff, project budget, and monitoring and evaluation.
- In collaboration with the Project Coordinator, project teams, and WASH Advisor, develop program strategy, draft project proposals, project budget, and staff plan to implement the planned project.
- Ensure the ERT WASH projects are implemented in line with donor proposals, and Medair, donor, and international standards, and within agreed budget and timeframe.
- With the WASH Advisor, select and evaluate appropriate technologies to achieve project goals.
- Monitor project implementation and provide support to the team to ensure the quality of the construction, trainings and provide guidance on future improvements.
- Ensure Accountability to Affected Populations (AAP), people with disability & gender are mainstreamed in the ERT WASH projects. Provide technical input and support to the team on project activities.
Staff Management and Leadership
- Directly line manage three WASH Managers and one Hygiene Promotion Manager.
- Conduct appraisals, manage R&R and holiday schedules, manage contracts, provide development and training opportunities, and support the physical and spiritual wellbeing for all WASH staff.
- Delegate tasks to WASH Managers as appropriate while ensuring that all key tasks are being covered.
- Actively coach team members giving them the opportunity to grow and develop in their roles.
Coordination and Reporting
- Ensure all project data, beneficiary numbers, & indicators are accurately collected, and reported.
- With WASH Advisor and M&E team, develop tools and templates to facilitate smooth data collection.
- Attend WASH Coordination meetings and advocate for principled emergency WASH interventions.
- Coordinate with relevant WASH implementing partners INGOs, NNGOs, UN agencies and Minstry of Water and Irrigation or other government agencies involved in WASH planning and implementation
- Liaise with local authorities at the beginning of assessments, and throughout WASH activities.
- Ensure Terms of Reference (ToR) for assessments and interventions and reports are completed.
- Ensure development of an annual procurement plan based on project needs and activities.
- With the support of the ERT Logistics Officer, plan and support requests from field teams.
- Ensure stock of critical supplies & regular communication with the Warehouse Manager & staff.
- Actively manage budget and communicate any issues with ERT Project Coordinator.
- Supervise the management of field team budget and cash, including the payment of casual labour payments within the agreed salary/incentive scales. Manage submission of all finance, stock and purchase requests to Juba, and WASH finances, procurement, warehousing, and transport at field sites.
- Contribute to development of security assessments for new ERT locations before field teams travel. Monitor local dynamics in intervention locations which may be indicators of insecurity.
- Ensure the WASH team adhere to SOPs, promote good planning and communication within the team.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in a WASH-related field (eg. civil engineering, hydraulic engineering, environmental engineering, public health, water and sanitation engineering, hydrogeology/hydrology).
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
- 2 years post-qualification professional experience in a relevant field as a Manager.
- Experience in a WASH programme in a developing country, preferably in a humanitarian context.
- Technical experience with WASH infrastructure (e.g. latrine designs, borehole installation, hand pump repair, and construction of hand dug wells) and software/training (behaviour change communication).
- Understanding of the links between the hardware (water, sanitation facilities) and behaviour change.
- Experience in the design, implementation and evaluation of WASH programmes.