Water Team Consultant
Water Team Consultant
- Full-time position
- Location – based in Pretoria
- Strategically guide project teams to deliver quality products that achieve client satisfaction
- Manage client relationships – from the likes of African local, municipal and national government to international donors and financiers
- Strategically plan and deliver projects, working with internal staff and external associates, ensuring technical excellence and meeting profitability targets
- Contribute to practice management, and staff management/coaching responsibilities
- Mentor and support junior consultants working on water projects
- Market and position Pegasys with clients and associates, contributing to the technical development of tenders and business development
- Independently deliver knowledge products within Pegasys
- Grow into a senior manager in the firm, leading water development work across the group
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- A Master’s degree in an appropriate field including (but not limited to) Engineering, Science, Natural Resources Management (water, land, agriculture, environment), Governance, or Development Studies
- 8 -10 years’ experience in technical and strategic water resources management and development projects, sectoral strategic planning, policy development, governance and institutional processes
- Proven abilities to manage multiple and complex projects across sectors, with experience in project planning and project preparation, finance and reporting.
- Must be comfortable working in quantitative environments, with a broader interest in policy, strategy, socio-economic issues and development.
- A strong understanding of the socio-economic and political economy of African countries
- Established local and regional networks in developmental projects, particularly in Africa, and a track record of working with Development Finance Institutions
- Ability to engage clients at a range of levels, including senior bureaucrats, politicians, donors etc.
- Desire to grow as a sector expert with continental / global recognition.
- Proven experience in leading and managing a project team as well as staff.
- A demonstrable track-record of excellence and success in project acquisition and compiling strong proposals / tenders.
- Fluency in one French, Portuguese or Swahili
KEY SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
This role calls for several specific skills and characteristics in the candidate, including:
- Strong work ethic and demonstrable high standards of achievement.
- Proven leadership and management ability.
- An extremely good writer with proven and exceptional writing skills of international caliber.
- A very strong ability to think on one’s feet, able to process large amounts of information.
- A team player who is productive working in a collaborative, multi-disciplinary environment.
- Strong abilities to manage difficult conversations and to resolve conflict to find appropriate solutions.Self-motivated, self-driven, with the ability to work independently and deliver tasks entirely at the level of quality expected, with minimal supervision or guidance.
- Positively disposed towards dynamism, comfortable with a fluid and constantly changing environment, including changing directions related to work being done.
- Versatile, with a strong ability to multi-task and juggle multiple assignments and deadlines at any time.
- Ability to clearly break down and explain a complex topic verbally and in writing, and an ability to listen and respond to input and factor in diverse perspectives in real time.
- Equipped with rigorous research skills, including familiarity with research methods and referencing / citation methods.
- Comfortable with strategic thinking, including the ability to draw linkages between and observe implications of the evidence available, to understand what the information suggests or points to.
- Must have extremely high attention to detail.
- Desire to contribute towards making the world a better place, and belief that a small group of committed and hard-working individuals can have a significant impact
- An energetic problem-solver, who is open-minded with multi-perspective views on water development, governance, systems, policies and broader developmental issues.
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, dynamic, unpredictable work environment.
- Adaptive, quick-thinking, short lead times and a results-oriented mindset.
- Good time management, with the ability to meet task deadlines within time-frames and budget.
- Commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Note: If you do not received feedback from us within 2 weeks of the closing date, please consider your application for this role unsuccessful.