The Environmental, Design and Consulting Services Group of AECOM is actively seeking a creative, highly talented environmental scientist for immediate employment in the Arlington, VA (Crystal City) office. AECOM is pleased to include you in a unique development opportunity, the Graduate Development Program (GDP). This program is designed to support your assimilation into the organization and assist with creating a foundation of knowledge for a successful career at AECOM. You will gain experience in your discipline through learning on the job and participate in development opportunities during the program, including access to AECOM’s social media resources, group mentoring, and professional networking. The program also has learning activities that will be available to you, including webinars and on-line programs.
Imagine working on rewarding projects within a diverse culture, and having access to exceptional training and career development opportunities. Working at AECOM means being part of a global team, working with award-winning professionals across the world. Aspire to be a key player on some of the best projects regionally, with opportunities to work on projects nationally or internationally. Our people bring deep industry knowledge to help you succeed.
AECOM is proud to provide our employees with exciting, challenging projects. The great variety of projects and assignments available at AECOM will give the candidate multiple opportunities to gain experience on projects that can lead to a rewarding and diverse career. The candidate will be working with and in support of Project Managers and task order leaders. The position will support multiple projects within our environmental business line for Department of Defense (DoD) clients.
The responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Support planning and executing projects for the DoD in the areas of environmental compliance and/or cleanup
- Develop environmental policy and technical guidance
- Provide administrative support to technical projects
- Perform environmental regulatory research and analysis
- Develop and implement environmental solutions and best management practices; and support environmental planning activities (e.g., project files, meeting support, and conference support)
- Interface with clients to identify technical requirements
- Write technical documents
- Perform field work including sampling and data collection at project sites, often requiring extended travel
- Manage personal workloads; apprising project managers of progress and obstacles, and presenting project outputs for final delivery
- Meet required schedules while producing quality work
- Work independently with minimal supervision and complete multiple tasks under tight deadlines
- Work both in a team environment and without supervision
- Strong work ethic and professional demeanor
At times, the office wins opportunities requiring perspective employees to work onsite at DoD facilities. Work may include managing hazardous waste and hazardous materials, preparing required documentation (i.e., waste profiles, manifests, SDS), conducting compliance inspections, and supporting environmental training programs.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in environmental science, biology, chemistry, or related science field
- Proficient in standard office computer applications and software, to include MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access
- Demonstrate familiarity of federal environmental laws and regulations as they apply to the mission and installations within the Department of Defense (e.g., Clean Water Act, Clean Air Act, Resource Conservation and Recovery Act, Comprehensive Environmental Response Compensation Liability Act, Endangered Species Act, National Environmental Policy Act)
- Demonstrate ability to conduct field measurement activities accordance with established protocols
- Demonstrate excellent oral communication and writing skills. Will be required to present a technical writing sample prior to interview
- Must be able to pass OSHA required medical physical
- Must be willing and able to obtain and maintain a security clearance
- 0 – 2 years experience