Terre des hommes (Tdh), the leading Swiss child relief non-profit organization, is active in more than 40 countries with its programs in mother and child health, unsafe migration, WASH and humanitarian emergencies. In India Tdh implements projects through local partners in the states of West Bengal and Jharkhand. Besides financial support, Tdh supports its partners with technical support and is involved in all stages of the project- from designing to monitoring and evaluation.
Tdh work at a systemic level, engaging with formal and non-formal actors, Government, service providers, civil society organisations, communities, families and children themselves to ensure the care and protection of vulnerable children on the long-term.
Position: Project Manager - WASH.
Location: Kolkata, West Bengal
Reporting: Programme Manager – MCH&N.
Duration of assignment: May until December 2021. Probation period 3 months from date of joining.
Starting date: 1st May
About the position:
• The Project Manager will provide technical support and leadership to Tdh’s implementing partners, to ensure Institutional and Community WASH projects are implemented as per the Tdh/global/ national WASH standards; and as committed to the respective donors.
• Monitors, in close collaboration with the actors of the WASH/Health system, the Tdh programs and the deliverables to achieve the project objectives.
• Identifies the difficulties that can hinder the implementation of activities and implement new solutions to overcome them.
• Facilitates partnership relations in India, with actors from the government and international partners.
The Project Manager provides technical, managerial, and strategic support to project staff for achieving the projects objectives.
Ensuring effective partnership management :
• Project representation and advocacy activities with the Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation / Ministry of Health & Family Welfare
• Planning of partnership activities
• Monitoring of reports on project activities
• Monitoring the implementation of collaboration agreements
Support the field team in the quality of services :
• Project management including monitoring
• Ensure compliance with technical standards agreed in the project proposal and always in consistency with internationally and national accepted standards
• Initiatives to strengthen the administrative capacities of stakeholders
• Training and/or managing trainers, in-house technical support staff or consultants as agreed in the project description, or as is necessary
• Supervision of field team services
• Support for quality improvement strategy
Financial Management & Accounting :
• Responsibility for monitoring expenditure and review of the project budgets
• Monthly coordination with the partner team for partner budget monitoring and any issues related to project budget planning
• Monthly coordination with the MCHN Programme Manager and Finance team of Tdh; and updating the Budget Follow Up (BFU) tool for efficient financial monitoring
• Sharing immediate information with the Line Manager when a major change in the budget is needed or over/under expenditure is probable.
• Clear understanding of alignment to Tdh institutional priorities, principles and programme strategies in all WASH projects
• Keep updated on debates and cutting edge trends related to WASH, in the Indian, Regional and Global context.
• Translation of Tdh’s overall WASH sector strategies in feasible solutions in the Indian context
• Participation in overall strategic planning of the delegation’s activities.
Representation / Coordination / Networking :
• Act as the Delegation’s WASH Focal Point for extra- and intra-institutional representation
• Promotion of the good name of Tdh in all circumstances: at conferences, in workshops, in meetings with NGO, UN and government representatives and specifically with external donor agencies
• Work on increasing visibility and influence of Tdh in India as an agency specialized in Child protection, MCH&N and WASH
• Maintain and/or develop a professional network specifically related to WASH
• Representation of Tdh in the field, with professionalism, honesty and commitment. Respect of local customs and local conditions and ensuring good communication among Tdh and partners.
Promote Tdh's specific values and policies:
• The application of the Child Safeguarding Policy;
• The application of the Anti-fraud / corruption policy ;
• The application of the Safety and Security policy ;
• The application of the policy for reporting any abuse.
• The application of administrative and financial procedures
• Undertakes other duties that may be defined by the MCHN Programme Manager
• Terre des hommes expects that its employees’ professional conduct reflect proper behavior in accordance with local culture and traditions. The incumbent assures the moral protection of the name of Terre des hommes and defends in all circumstances the interests of the movement.
• Be aware of and strictly abide by the security policy of the delegation.
Pro-actively report relevant observations related to security/safety issues to the Supervisor.
This function requires mastery of Personal, Social and Leadership competencies(PSLC), Technical and Methodological Competencies (TMC) and Management and Strategic Competencies (MSC) particularly :
Personal, Social and Leadership competencies(PSLC):
• Self management :
1. Demonstrate autonomy and decision-making skills
2. Demonstrate integrity and ethics in its activities
3. Be determined and proactive
• Communication and interactions :
1. Communicates clearly, concisely and responsibly
2. Demonstrates negotiation skills
3. Manage conflicts constructively
• Work as a team :
1. Cooperates and contributes to the achievement of results
2. Behaves as a partner
3. Performs the work according to the common criteria defined and validated by the different parties.
4. Acts as an advisor in his area of specialization in a spirit of partnership
• Mission orientation :
1. Respects the values defined in the strategic plan : Courage, Ambition, Respect, Commitment
2. Acts in the interest of Tdh
3. Represent and explain Tdhs’s mission and project
• Leadership :
Put their " Mind'eye " on the positive and constructive aspects of each person in situation
Can establish relationships of trust, maintain relationships and nurture relations that allow progress.
Technical and Methodological Competencies (TMC)
• Respect for the institutional framework:
1. Integrates and applies guidleines and strategies for development of project activities
2. Knowing and applying the Tdh policies; and applying the security guidelines
• Quality, Monitoring and reporting :
1. Produces quality reports
2. Collect the information necessary to monitor its activity
3. Keeps track of his tasks and objectives.
Management and Strategic Competencies (MSC)
• Managing a Team:
1. Performs an annual appraisal interview
2. Encourages and supports the development of team skills
3. Manage conflicts within the team
4. Takes and assumes decisions
• Budget Management:
1. Develops, proposes, monitors and ensures the best possible use of the budget for the project
• Person with a Post Graduate qualification in any discipline related to WASH /Health/ Development / Social Sciences.
• A minimum of 5 years’ experience in managing projects in the development sector. Proven experience of managing technical WASH projects for at least 3 years, where experience on managing WASH in HCF projects is desirable.
• In-depth understanding of and technical skills in WASH, particularly in the development sector and the Indian context.
• Strong command of the current Indian legal framework concerning WASH, and of the functioning of the Indian WASH system.
• Client management experience in government will be an asset
• Have good organizational, planning, and analytical skills.
• Show an excellent command written and spoken Bengali and English (Level : Working Knowledge ).
• Have a perfect mastery of IT tools (Office Pack, Microsoft Office)
• Hands on mobile application development and support experience is a plus
• Show good abilities to work in different cultural contexts and in difficult situations as well as to manage confrontation with difference;
• Show strong representation and advocacy skills
• Understanding of WASHFIT desirable.
Constraints related to the position:
• Flexibility in working hours.
• Possibility of late descent.
• Possibility of impromptu missions
• Determination of a work program.
• Position with high degree of stress and work under pressure
Recruitment & Remuneration:
Tdh offers a competitive package of remuneration, based on the candidates’ experience and credentials. Annual CTC (Cost To Company) for this position will be INR 7,48,755 including Annual festival bonus & employers contribution to PF. In addition, Tdh provides Gratuity (as per Indian Gratuity Act), Mediclaim Health Insurance coverage of INR 10,00,000 for Employee & family and Accidental insurance coverage of INR 10,00,000 for the Employee.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should apply with a covering letter explaining how his/her skills and experiences match the requirements mentioned above along with an updated CV to by the 20thMarch 2021. Please mention the text “Application for the position of Project Manager - WASH” in the subject line of your email. Please mention your current CTC and expected CTC in your CV.
Please note that as per Tdh Child Safeguarding Policy, one of the references mentioned in the CV needs to be the candidate’s current or immediate past employer. The references will be contacted before offering the job.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please note that Tdh does not reimburse any travel allowance or daily allowance for attending interviews and no relocation cost will be provided by Tdh.
Tdh offers a competitive package of remuneration based on the candidates’ experience and credentials. In addition, Tdh provides Gratuity and Festival bonus to its employees as per its policy; Health Insurance cover for Employee & family and Accidental insurance for the Employee. The recruitment and selection procedures of Terre des hommes reflect our commitment to child security and safeguarding.
Note: Tdh provides a safe working environment for all its employees; following the principle of equal opportunity Women, persons living with a disability, SC/ST/religious minorities, people living with HIV AIDS and candidates from the LBGQ community are encouraged to apply.
Job Email id:
Closing Date: 20th March 2021.