Consultancy: Development of a National Adaptation Plan (NAP) Framework for Somalia
Location: Remote (preference will be given to consultants based in Somalia)
Length of assignment: April 2021 – July 2021
Application deadline: March 19, 2021
Somalia is one of the most vulnerable countries in the world to climate change due to their arid land, extreme weather conditions, and social inequalities. In response to these challenges, the Federal Government of Somalia submitted a proposal to Green Climate Fund for NAP Readiness support in 2018. The proposed project, which was approved in November 2019, will support the launch of Somalia’s NAP process and build upon the foundation that was created when the country formulated its National Adaptation Programme of Action (NAPA) in 2013. The NAP will also be designed to address the priorities that were elucidated in the country’s Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC) and to be aligned with the recently-ratified National Development Plan. This will require that any actions around the NAP are aligned with broader national efforts to rebuild the country after decades of civil strife and instability.
Somalia’s NAP process is being led by the Directorate of Environment and Climate Change in the Office of the Prime Minister. Through its NAP process, Somalia aims to develop a blueprint for adaptation and to lay down the coordination mechanisms and institutional requirements for adaptation in the country. The process remains in its early stages, and to help lay out a vision and approach to the process, a NAP Framework is required.
Expected outcomes of the consultancy
The expected result of the project is the development of a NAP Framework document that clearly describes the benefits of the NAP process in Somalia and ensures that it does not contribute to the proliferation of planning processes and related documents.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field
- Demonstrated expertise in climate adaptation
- Experience with policy analysis and the development of reports
- Good knowledge of climate change in Somalia
- Strong research and writing skills
- Fluency in English (spoken and written)
- To apply for this consultancy, please submit a cover letter, CV, your daily rate and a proof of your daily rate (e.g., copy of a contract of at least 20 days that states a daily rate) to:
- In your application, please clearly demonstrate how you meet the criteria outlined above.