U.S. nationals: Data Scientist
What General Information Do I Need To Know About This Position?
Salary: GS-11: $64,649 (Step 01) to $84,049 (Step 10); GS-12: $77,488 to $100,739. NOTE: 1st time hires to the Federal Government are typically hired at the Step 1.
This term appointment is not to exceed 13 months with possible extensions up to a total of 4 years without further competition. Appointment to this position will not convey permanent status in the Federal service.
Learn more about this agency
As a Data Scientist within the Water Mission Area, US Geological Survey (USGS) some of your specific duties will include:
- Serves as a data science expert, developing rigorous methods of scientific inquiry and analysis associated with the large data resources of the Water Mission Area (WMA), USGS and external data providers. The vast majority of these datasets are rich in complexity, including high resolution time-series observations, free-from text, imagery, and geospatial components.
- Lead projects including data-driven modeling, reproducible workflows, data visualization to integrate approaches that span the interface between data science techniques and traditional domain-based techniques into priority USGS-WMA projects.
- Designs analytical models, use cases, and scenarios for data collection, reporting, and decision making in support of a variety of initiatives involving changes in policies, water conditions, and scientific methodology.
- Conducts research as needed to support studies and prepare written products to convey research-based knowledge and information to a variety of audiences.
- Strategize and design projects, prototypes, and/or concepts that bring new data science approaches into the USGS EarthMAP and USGS-WMA water prediction/assessment projects.
- Implement new and existing data science approaches towards building solutions to areas of need. Can include architecting new data science approaches and/or implementing reproducible automation of existing approaches.
Above duties are described at the GS-12 level. At the GS-11 level the employee will be assigned work designed to further develop and refine their technical knowledge and skills.