The Government of Bangladesh WASH Sector Development Plan (2011 – 2025) identifies lack of coordination, poor harmonization and disparities in sectoral approaches, strategies for implementation, monitoring and information management by various stakeholders as key challenges of the sector. The WASH SDP further notes that the project-based nature of most interventions is the primary limiting factor to scaling-up of successful interventions. In an attempt to address this key challenge, the Government of Bangladesh established and operated a Policy Support Branch (PSB) under Water Supply Wing of the Local Government Division of the Ministry of Local Government, Rural Development & Cooperatives (MoLGRD&C) tasked with implementing the SDP in relation to sectoral policy development and policy coordination. Its other responsibilities related to this includes establishment of sector thematic groups to enhance sectoral coordination and the use of common approaches, monitoring tools for programme interventions.
Purpose of Activity/Assignment:
The PSB is tasked with facilitating sectoral coordination and development, revision of policy and strategy document to foster an enabling environment for WASH sector. As part of its strategic upstream support to the sector, the GOB-UNICEF 2020-2021 Rolling work plan includes provision of technical assistance for some PSB activities viz. harnessing the required political will, generating technical and policy level stakeholder buy in, re-establishing and operationalizing the defunct thematic groups, resource mobilization and technical support for the implementation of sector wide strategies and approaches. Government created this branch under the Water Supply wing of Local Government Division (LGD). Currently only one senior level staff from the Local Government Division is assigned without any other manpower to carryout gigantic takes of WASH sector development and coordination. In this connection UNICEF is supporting PSB to enhancing its capacity for sector coordination and capacity building of sector stakeholders by providing a full-time consultant who will be housed in PSB, DPHE.
Under this assignment, some of the expected tasks include:
- Strengthen coordination among WASH sector actors in Bangladesh. (WASH related line ministries and line departments of GoB, development partners, INGOs, National NGOs, Research Organizations, Academia & Development Partners);
- Facilitate functioning of SDP thematic groups.
- Prepare working documents, meeting notes, office order for National Forum for WSS, different working committee/groups
- Provide technical support to PSB for revision of Sector Development Plan (SDP) 2011-2025, Water Sanitation Policy 1998, National Strategy for Water Supply & Sanitation -2014, National Hygiene Promotion Strategy 2012 and development of National MHM Strategy, Bangladesh Strategic Paper to Respond to Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Issues during & after the COVID-19 Outbreak,National Guideline for Dengue prevention for LGIs, National Guideline for Tobacco Control Activities for LGIs, National Action Plan for implementation of Institutional & Regulatory Framework for Fecal Sludge Management (NAP for IRF-FSM) for City Corporation & Mega City Dhaka, National operation &Maintenance strategy for WASH facilities, National Operation and maintenance Guideline for Public Toilet Management with technical, financial support from UNICEF.
- Publication and Dissemination of policy and strategy documents among the stakeholder, professional and Local Government Institutes (LGIs) representatives through organizing workshop/ seminar/ conference at division, district and national level;
- Identification and support for capacity building initiatives for sector professionals on different thematic issues related to WASH.
Minimum Qualifications/Knowledge/Expertise/Skills required:
- Masters/Advanced university degree in one of the following areas: Social Science or Public Health Engineering, Business Administration or a field relevant to WASH related development assistance. At least 10 years’ experience in development field, preferably in the water and sanitation sector (UN or development agency, donor, government regulatory body, academic institution or the private sector);
- Well conversant with policies and strategies of the water supply and sanitation sector in Bangladesh;
- Extensive experience in organizing and facilitating meetings/workshops/seminars;
- Familiarization with the policy environment of Bangladesh, the challenges within the WASH sector and the capacities of various stakeholders, would be considered an asset.
- Good interpersonal, leadership and management skills in implementing multi-party development projects.
- Well conversant with the development programme aspects of water supply and sanitation;
- Working experience with donors funded Government projects/organization/international NGOs
- Good written and spoken English.
- Computer skills especially in word processing, spreadsheet and PowerPoint presentation is preferred.
- Good written and spoken English
Work Modality and duration: Office based work – 242 days over 11 months
Estimated Consultancy fee: Taka 2,090,000.00
Travel/DSA: Will be paid at actual basis – if applicable
Terms of Payment: Payment will be made upon successful completion of each deliverable according to the schedule and certification of the supervisor
Advertised: Bangladesh Standard Time
Deadline: Bangladesh Standard Time