Helvetas is an organization specialized in development cooperation and humanitarian response, anchored in Switzerland. Our vision is a just world in which all men and women determine the course of their lives in dignity and security, using environmental resources in a sustainable manner.
For our Water Food and Climate team in Switzerland (Zurich or Berne) – as per May 1st, 2021 or upon agreement – we are looking for a goal-oriented and pragmatic WASH Advisor / Swiss Water and Sanitation Consortium Coordinator (60%-70%).
The Water Food and Climate team provides advisory services to Helvetas programs and to external clients. In our work on water, the advisory team focusses on the thematic fields of Water supply, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), integrated water resources management and water for agriculture. We integrate climate and disaster risks in water as well as the linkages with food and nutrition. With its work, the team contributes to increased access to sustainable WASH services for people living in developing countries.
Your Main Tasks
- Providing technical and strategic demand-based advice to Helvetas programs and projects and external clients (donors, private sector) regarding water supply, sanitation and hygiene (WASH)
- Project Cycle Management, coordination of team, between the Swiss Water and Sanitation Consortium members and with the donor
- Contribute to advocacy and policy dialogues on WASH
- Contribute to capacity development for a wide range of internal and external clients
- Contributing to thematic development on WASH, which involves the development and dissemination of methods, tools and guidelines, staff training and partnership development
- Acquisition of advisory mandates and support fundraising activities related to WASH
- Representing Helvetas in events and networks
- Master’s degree in civil engineering, environmental sciences, or related discipline
- At least five years’ experience as technical advisor and/or project manager in the water sector, with a broad experience in Water Supply, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) in an international context
- At least three years working experience in development cooperation with long-term and short-term assignments on WASH programs
- Proven expertise in at least two of the following WASH topics:
- WASH sector governance/systems approach
- WASH in schools and health care facilities
- Market-based approaches to WASH
- Public and private finance for WASH systems
- Urban WASH
- Proven advisory competences and experience in capacity development
- Experience in advocacy and policy influencing activities
- Good communication and facilitation skills, able to work in teams and independently
- Experience and successful track record in acquiring advisory mandates and/or projects
- Excellent spoken and written English and French and/or German. Spanish or Portuguese skills would be additional assets
Attractive working conditions in interdisciplinary team and a multicultural setting, workplace in Berne or Zurich (close to the main station).
We look forward to receiving your complete application including motivation letter, work certificates and diplomas by March 21, 2021. Please send your application via our online recruiting portal. For additional information, please contact Ms Bernita Doornbos, Head Water Food and Climate team (+41 (0)44 368 65 28) or visit our website www.helvetas.org.