LCV believes our earth is worth fighting for because everyone has a right to clean air, water, and a safe, healthy community. To ensure those rights are protected, we help people use their power to shape policy, hold politicians and polluters accountable, and influence elections.
Our over 2 million members, our volunteers and staff, and our more than 30 state affiliates (together, the Conservation Voter Movement) work for a more just and equitable democracy, where people—not polluters—determine our future. This movement is an influential national network with unparalleled influence in Washington, DC, in state capitals, and in communities around the country. We are unmatched in our ability to ensure meaningful action on our key issues. We aim to bring people and communities together across racial, geographic, political, religious, economic, and other differences toward collective goals instead of dividing us from one another.
The Legal & Grants Associate will provide administrative and legal support to the Legal & Strategic Initiatives Department and facilitate the coordination of all outgoing grants made to our 30+ Conservation Voter Movement (CVM) state league and other partners. The Legal & Grants Associate plays a critical role in supporting the Legal & Strategic Initiatives department and works cross-departmentally on our highly collaborative grants, contracts, and compliance programs. The ideal candidate has incredibly strong attention to detail, the ability to manage time well and balance multiple tasks, and works well independently and as part of a team.
- Provide administrative support to the Legal & Strategic Initiatives Department generally, including budget/expense reports, processing payment requests, coordinating updates to Boards/committees, assisting in the preparation of training and presentation materials, and assisting in scheduling and planning of department meetings and retreats.
- Contribute to organizational and department efforts to infuse racial justice and equity into all aspects of our work, including contracts and grants management.
- Coordinate the contract review and approval process, track all contracts received for legal review, and maintain electronic files of executed contracts.
- Identify and implement opportunities to improve and streamline contract management procedures and systems, and serve as a resource about the contract review process and needs from LCV staff.
- Coordinate the grants administration program for all grants to state league organizations and non-state league organizations from LCV entities; review grant proposal submissions, create grant award letters for all outgoing grants and process grant payments.
- Maintain online grants database and annual calendar for proposals, grants, and reports, and produce reports, charts, and financial reports with respect to the organization’s grantmaking impact.
- Identify and implement opportunities to improve and streamline grants management procedures and systems and serve as a resource on the grantmaking process and needs to program staff and leadership, as well as partners and other external partners, with a lens towards racial justice and equity.
- Help build an equitable and inclusive organizational culture through the legal and compliance services provided across the organization and Conservation Voter Movement.
- Assist in tracking and maintaining state and other corporate registrations annually, including charitable solicitation registrations, sales/use tax exemption certificates, and trademarks.
- Assist the Compliance Director as needed in obtaining and tracking expenses and other information required for FEC and state campaign finance reporting, and lobbying disclosure reporting.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Work Experience: Required – At least 1-2 years of relevant work experience demonstrating high levels of organization, initiative, communication and administrative competency; relevant internship experience will be considered. Preferred – Experience working with a non-profit, political organization/campaign, grantmaker, and/or or legal setting.
- Skills: Strong attention to detail, ability to multitask, prioritize, and follow through to effectively manage work and meet multiple tight deadlines; well-organized, quick learner; proficient with spreadsheets; critical thinking skills with a willingness to ask questions; highly motivated self-starter with the ability to successfully work in a team environment, effective communicator; demonstrated commitment to racial justice and equity; capable of handling confidential information; must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Drive. Preferred – Ability to present data in compelling, understandable fashion.
- Cultural Competence: Shares LCV’s commitment to increasing racial diversity in our movement and organization, integrating justice and equity into the work we do and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture.
- Conditions: Must be willing and able to work occasional overtime as needed. This position is based in Washington, D.C. Please note that all LCV staff are currently working remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic.
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to [email protected] with “Legal & Grants Associate” in the subject line by March 24, 2021. No phone calls please.