OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Eligibility: Only nationals of Zimbabwe are eligible to apply
Initial Duration of Contract : One year with possibility of extension subject to performance and availability of funds
The incumbent will work under the overall authority of the Regional Director and Representative and under the supervision of the Head of the Science Unit at UNESCO Regional Office for Southern Africa, and under the direct supervision of the Programme Specialist responsible for implementing the project ‘Addressing Climate Risk and Building Adaptive Capacity in South Africa’s Biosphere Reserves: Towards Sustainable Water and Ecosystem Management’.
To support the day-to-day implementation of the project, a Deputy Project Coordinator will be hired in Harare, that shall perform the following tasks:
1. Act as deputy coordinating officer for the project, by providing technical and logistical assistance to implement the project activities in the four target areas in South Africa and support contracting processes by drafting of concept notes and terms of reference, procurement of goods and services according to UNESCO rules and regulations, monitor budgets and financial aspects of project implementation;
2. Streamline coordination between the UNESCO Regional Office for Southern Africa and the Project Coordinator, as well as the project focal points in the different project locations, and the national and international stakeholders, to ensure smooth implementation of the project;
3. Help organize project related events such as stakeholder meetings, training workshops and (online) conferences;
4. Implement the project communication strategy, maintain communications, support the development of the project website and data repository;
5. Support general monitoring and reporting on the activities with respect to the project implementation framework, update the project database and draft progress reports in liaison with UNESCO colleagues and project partners;
6. Support the preparations for required missions, meetings and other consultations with project partners, including preparation of concept notes, policy briefs, presentations and other materials as required;
7. Support the work of the UNESCO Natural Sciences Sector and contribute as team member to the activities of the section.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
• Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) in the field of natural sciences, hydrology or earth sciences.
• At least 3 years of relevant experience;
• Demonstrated professional experience with project management;
• Familiarity with one or more of the following fields: water resources, environmental sciences, climate change and natural sciences;
• Excellent report writing skills;
• Proficiency in MS Office;
• High degree of independence, as well as well‐developed capacities for teamwork;
Skills and competencies
• Extensive knowledge, and high level of technical writing skills;
• Ability to multi task, prioritize and deliver to deadline, as well as work under pressure;
• Excellent interpersonal skills, tact and diplomacy;
• Strong strategic and analytical skills;
• Excellent communication skills
• Excellent knowledge of English (oral and written).
• Specialized courses or higher education diploma related to disaster risk management and/or climate change adaptation;
• At least 1 year of experience in the United Nations or Intergovernmental organizations;
Competencies and Skills
• Experience in the use of hydrological and/or ecological modelling techniques and disaster risk management tools;
• Strong knowledge of computer applications, web skills and social media;
SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.