Deputy Regional Director of Implementation, Africa
The C40 Cities Climate Leadership Group, now in its 15th year, connects 96 of the world’s greatest cities which have committed to tackling climate change. We bring mayors from around the world together to learn from each other in reducing greenhouse gas emissions and creating resilient, sustainable and low carbon cities. C40 cities represent more than 700 million urban citizens and their economies account for 25% of the global GDP. C40’s ‘Deadline 2020’ report sets out the critical role that the world’s major cities have to play in delivering the historic Paris Agreement to prevent catastrophic climate change.
C40’s team of 200+ staff is headquartered in New York, with offices in London, Rio de Janeiro, Copenhagen, Beijing and Paris, and individual staff based across 25+ different locations, with the Office of the Chair based in Los Angeles.
The strategic direction of the organization is determined by an elected Steering Committee of C40 mayors which is chaired by the Mayor of Los Angeles, Eric Garcetti. Three-term Mayor of New York City Michael R. Bloomberg serves as President of the C40 Board of Directors, which is responsible for operational oversight. An eight-person management team, led by Executive Director, Mark Watts, leads the day-to-day management of C40. C40’s three core strategic funders are Bloomberg Philanthropies, the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation (CIFF) and Realdania.
At C40, we are committed to creating an inclusive working environment, where diversity is valued and there is equality of opportunity. We therefore encourage a diverse pool of applicants and welcome applications from all sections of the community and would particularly welcome applications from candidates in the Global South and from ethnic minorities as we are currently underrepresented in this area. We request that you complete the recruitment and diversity questionnaire, to help us monitor our recruitment and selection procedures. Although optional, we encourage you to complete these questions. For how C40 handles your personal information, please review our Privacy Notice – Recruitment.
Core to C40’s value and effectiveness is an ability to be responsive to the needs of all C40 cities and focus services and support on the areas of greatest opportunity for city action and climate impact – both at the individual city level and across our regional and global networks. Our regional management structure better enables C40 to leverage relationships between peer cities and technical and financial partners regionally and globally and to be more responsive to local needs and conditions.
To manage these efforts, C40 Regional Directors are positioned in seven regions: Africa, Europe, North America, South America, Southeast Asia and Oceania, East Asia and South & West Asia. The Regional Directors acts as the ambassador for their regions, to ensure that the organisation can deliver effectively at a regional level considering specific geographic, cultural, language and other differences. The Regional Director for Africa is based in Johannesburg, South Africa. The Mayor of Durban and the Mayor of Accra represent the region’s cities on the Steering Committee as C40 vice-chairs. A Deputy Regional Director for Africa, supporting the Regional Director with managing the city engagement and relationship building in the region, is based in Addis Ababa. C40 is now recruiting for an additional Deputy Director to support the Regional Director with overseeing C40’s programmes to accelerate the implementation of impactful climate action.
The Deputy Regional Director of Implementation in Africa will work the Regional Director for Africa and the global C40 Director of Implementation to support the region’s cities in accelerating the implementation of the most impactful climate actions to radically reduce Green House Gas emissions and to safeguard communities from climate hazards such as droughts and flooding. The position, which is funded by the Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs, will work closely with teams across C40 as well as other city and climate organisations in the region to ensure cities have access to the most relevant and effective assistance, learning from their peers across other C40 cities, and that mayors are supported in their efforts to bring ambitious climate policies into action delivering effective on-the-ground results.
Reporting directly to the C40 Regional Director in Africa, more specifically, the Deputy Regional Director of Implementation, Africa will oversee all C40 led delivery programmes in the region and will manage the C40 in-city staff (“City Advisors”) responsible for coordinating the programmes.
The Deputy Regional Director of Implementation in Africa will be supporting C40’s African member cities in their planning, investment mobilisation and implementation of priority climate action to bring down emissions and strengthen resilience in the most climate exposed communities. This includes C40 key focus areas such as supporting cities to build resilience against water related risks and hazards, and to improving access to water resources.
- Support C40’s African member cities in their implementation of key priority actions from their Climate Actions Plans, e.g. by helping them to identify and establish critical partnerships for delivery.
- Oversee C40 climate action delivery programmes in the region, with a particular focus on C40’s climate adaptation and Water Safe Cities programmes, supporting cities to build resilience against water related risk and hazards, improve access to clean water and strengthen opportunities in vulnerable urban communities.
- Managing the collaboration activities with C40’s delivery partners and organizations in the region to coordinate efforts around its implementation programmes and ensure a streamlined approach in the engagement with participating cities.
- Assist C40’s Regional Director in developing and executing strategies to ensure alignment with national and sub-national policies and strategies and synergies with support programmes from other development partners to further accelerate the implementation of city climate actions.
- Elicit learnings and best practice examples from implementation processes and provide input to ensuring that this knowledge is exchanged and available in the C40 Knowledge Hub and other relevant platforms for cross learning.
- Advise and assist cities in reporting on KPIs, especially those related to the implementation of adaptation and water solutions.
- Support the development of partnerships between city and private sector organisations to generate new and innovative solutions, especially those related to adaptation and water action implementation.
- Ensure coordination and linkages between C40 Teams including global thematic leads, city diplomacy, financing, etc. towards a unified and coordinated city support strategy
- Advise and assist the relevant C40 teams in further developing and delivering C40’s accelerated implementation programme –with an emphasis on C40 cities in Africa.
- Advice C40 on its development of its regional adaptation and water safe cities priority action programs to catalyse C40 city activities to accelerate the implementation of the most impactful climate and water solutions.
- Where relevant, support the C40 Regional Director in liaising with Embassies of Denmark in the C40 member city countries and the Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Line manage implementation/delivery staff based in the region, including C40 City Advisers, where required.
- Extensive background in design, development, management and monitoring of urban implementation programmes/ projects in Global South countries (preferably Africa).
- The candidate should demonstrate an understanding of both the challenges and the opportunities of implementing ambitious climate action and their economic, social and health co-benefit as well as climate risks and hazards.
- Experience of working with city administrations and on creating results within political organisations.
- Experience with public-private partnerships is an advantage, e.g. designing innovative co-financing models, managing public tenders and innovative approaches to leverage private financing such as results-based financing, impact procurement, etc. Demonstrated understanding of the context of cities in the Global South including the cooperation with multilateral and bilateral development partners.
- Familiarity with the global climate change agenda as well as the relevant Sustainable Development Goals (particularly SDG 11, 13, and 8).
- Knowledge of international development cooperation policy and experience from multilateral aid agencies would be considered an advantage.
- Familiarity with implementation support by multilateral/bilateral development institutions engaged in urban climate action in Africa will be a strong advantage.
- Excellent inter-personal relationship management skills in inter-cultural settings.
- Excellent project management skills and technical and report writing skills.
- Experience managing staff, particularly remote management of staff based in different locations.
- The successful candidate is expected to have a postgraduate/advanced degree in a subject related to climate change and at least 10 years of relevant working experience.
- The working language will be English; working knowledge of French will be an asset.
Ideally, applicants should have the right to work in South Africa. The position will require frequent travelling to C40 cities within the region.
Reporting to: C40 Regional Director for Africa
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Salary: Competitive with international NGO pay scales
Funder: Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Term: FTC until November 2024
Closing date for receipt of applications is Thursday, 18 March 2021.
Recruitment Process: Selected candidates will be interviewed by a diverse recruitment panel with representatives from C40 and the Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs. A test might be organised as part of the recruitment process.