Director of Public Relations
The Colorado River District (District) seeks a candidate to fill a full-time Director of Public Relations position in the Glenwood Springs office.
- Public Outreach and Education: This position keeps the public informed of the Colorado River District’s (CRD) activities, positions and policies. Develops and implements outreach and education programs with public, private groups and state agencies through public speaking and the use of various media on water, water-related and other activities related to the organization.
- Marketing, Branding and Development of Content: Assists in the creation and maintenance of a favorable and professional public image for the District. Editor/author of District written publications such as quarterly reports, press releases, newsletters, special reports and other internal and external communication products. Manages contracts and contract personnel, as needed, for creative publications and products.
- Press Relations: Develops and maintains relationships with press outlets and coordinates responses to press inquiries.
- Events: Leads in the organization of CRD’s Annual Water Seminar and public education forums throughout the 15-county territory — including annual State of the River meetings. Manages outreach to civic organizations throughout the District aimed at elevating constituent understanding of critical water issues and the activities and purpose of the CRD.
- District Representation: Leads or participates in various external, collaborative efforts to further District’s mission, such as representing the CRD as needed with related water organizations. Represents the District at community functions and makes presentations at public events.
- Management: Manages and supervises the Public Relations and Media Specialist. Reports to Chief of Operations and General Manager.
- Travel: Position will typically involve significant travel throughout the District’s 15-county territory.
A successful candidate must have a Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, public relations, communication, business, marketing or related field and at least five to ten years’ experience in public relations, communications or similar professional experience. Candidate must demonstrate outstanding written and verbal communication skills with a proven ability to manage complex projects, work with professionals, the public and other agencies. Candidate must have excellent public speaking and presentation skills.
Further details about the essential functions of the position, required background and experience, and skills and competencies can be found in the position description.
The salary range for the position is $91,663 – $130,163. The River District also offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits package summarized here.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, résumé and three representative writing samples to Audrey Turner via e-mail at no later than Sunday, March 28th.