Forest Trends is an international non-profit organization based in D.C. that works to expand the value of forests to society. We work: to promote sustainable forest management and conservation by creating and capturing market values for ecosystem services; to support innovative projects and enterprises in these new markets; and to enhance the livelihoods of local communities living in and around critical ecosystems. We analyze strategic market and policy issues, catalyze connections between forward-looking producers, communities and investors, and develop new financial tools to help markets work for conservation and people.
We are seeking an Associate to join Ecosystem Marketplace, an initiative of Forest Trends. Ecosystem Marketplace is the leading global source of information on environmental finance, markets, and payments for ecosystem services. As a web-based service, Ecosystem Marketplace publishes newsletters, original feature articles, and reader-friendly technical reports about market-based approaches to valuing and financing ecosystem services.
The Associate will support Ecosystem Marketplace’s range of survey-based research; reports and other technical content; and online readership and other outreach — across our research areas of carbon, forestry, water, biodiversity, agriculture, and market-based financial mechanisms.
- Conduct research through outreach (phone calls), desk research, and analysis of survey responses. Co-author reports. Reports on the voluntary carbon market, forest carbon finance, and biodiversity mitigation are planned for 2017.
- Research and write news for monthly newsletters and other online content and support sharing our technical findings with a variety of audiences.
- Manage research and writing projects and coordinate collaboration with internal and external partners.
- Represent Ecosystem Marketplace externally at meetings and conferences and present on research. Cultivate relationships with stakeholders, peers, and supporters.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree in relevant environmental field preferred;
- Research and report writing experience;
- Strong communication skills; foreign language skills a strong plus, particularly in Spanish, Portuguese, French, German or Chinese;
- Strong skills in Excel required; experience and skills in GIS, web development, and graphics software a plus;
- Technical expertise in environmental science or policy; knowledge of ecosystem services and valuation approaches a plus;
- Drive to take initiative and be accountable for results;
- Ability to commute daily to Washington, DC office.