About the job
SMEC has joined forces with Surbana Jurong to provide global engineering and consultancy expertise in urban, infrastructure and management advisory. Our new partnership has created a talent pool of 16,500 dedicated people working across a network of 95 offices in 40 countries.
SMEC employs passionate and innovative people who are driven to deliver exceptional outcomes and who want to feel valued in a diverse and inclusive workplace.
We are committed to developing our people. We encourage them to see things differently, to be creative, to push boundaries and to work on a broad range of projects that help build a better future.
Consistently recognized for technical excellence and design innovation, SMEC continues to receive industry awards and accolades from around the world. Engineering News Record (ENR) currently ranks Surbana Jurong in the top 26 of the ‘2020 Top 225 International Design Firms’.
Position Title: ASEAN Urban Water Sector Manager (Leadership role)
Primary purpose of the position
The role of the ASEAN Urban Water Sector Manager is to provide strategic functional leadership for the business across both the Surbana Jurong (SJ) and SMEC brands of the SJ Group. The ASEAN Urban Water Manager shall ensure sustainable year on year growth of the revenue, new orders and pipeline of opportunities in the Division.
The ASEAN Urban Water Manager will assist the Country & Regional Managers’ in strategic Business Development and Project Delivery and shall drive strategic development of new service lines and clients across the Division. Service lines may include: multi-disciplinary engineering, environmental & social, PMC and asset management and operational services. The client portfolio includes IFI clients such as ADB, DFAT and World Bank, Government owned utilities such as PUB, private concession operators such as Manila Water & Maynilad Water, and Contractors.
The sector covers water supply, treatment and reticulation, wastewater and recycled water systems and treatment, stormwater, flooding and sustainable urban water projects. The ASEAN Urban Water Manager shall work closely with the ASEAN Environmental & Social Manager, the ASEAN Water Resources Manager and other ASEAN Functional Managers.
Key Responsibilities – General & Consulting
- Develop the ASEAN Urban Water Strategic Plan for the function, in line with Company, Divisional and Regional Strategies.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key strategic clients and industry partners, and where appropriate form strategic industry partnerships. Accountable for building strong client relationships and converting sales to achieve New Order targets
- Assist Country / Regional Managers in identifying and tracking opportunities to meet budgets
- Assist the Country / Regional teams in preparing campaign strategies, undertaking opportunity management, and preparing proposals,
- Review proposals to ensure that proposals: have a sound technical methodology and adequately defined scope; and include sufficient fees and expenses to facilitate the technical delivery of the projects to a minimum acceptable standard, including provisions for QA, technical audits and peer reviews, as appropriate, throughout project delivery
- Promote SJ/ SMEC’s brand within the industry through personal networks and connections, through industry events, conferences, thought leadership etc. within agreed overhead budgets.
- Develop and maintain good relationships with other SJ Group teams who can support sales and delivery of projects in the Division
- Act as Key Account Manager for Manila Water and Maynilad Water in particular, building SJ Group’s portfolio with these clients.
- To be accountable for the delivery of projects for which you are assigned to be Project Manager and / or Project Director, delivering on-time, within budget, and with good quality submissions, and managing lockup. It is expected that the ASEAN Urban Water Manager will act personally as Project Director on the most strategic projects in their function.
- Work with the Country / Regional Managers to ensure regular project technical audits are completed as required, and that Project Boards are set up and held regularly where required by the BMS.
- For the agreed Key Strategic Projects in the Division, undertake regular technical audits to ensure that project deliverables meet contractual obligations in terms of technical standards and quality.
- Personably contribute technical input to projects as appropriate
- Work with Country / Regional Managers to ensure knowledge sharing, training and mentoring occurs for staff in the function to continually update and refresh the knowledge of the whole team.
- Be known in the industry as technical expert in your field, and actively contribute to technical forums and encourage others to do so.
Staff & General Management
- Strictly adhere to SMEC’s Business Management System (BMS), Quality Management Systems (QMS), Environmental Management System (EMS), OH&S procedures and Code of Conduct and Integrity / Ethics policies
- Be a good team player, contributing to a productive culture in SEA, and the wider SJ Group
- Contribute to recruitment and retention of talent regardless of line reporting, and assist the Regional Teams with sourcing technical staff for proposals/projects
- To support Regional Managers in technical development of local teams to ensure that our teams are competent, and that clients are satisfied with SMEC’s services in the function
- Ensure Overhead costs attributable to the function are managed within budget
- Work with RM’s to ensure that Divisional Design Centre’s / Centre of Excellence are staffed with a strong team, and are consistently fed work from around the Division / company
- Build a strong “soft line” reporting relationship with Regional Functional Leads.
Where line reporting duty is assigned:
- Be accountable for leading staff to be motivated and productive contributors to SJ Group
- Work with the Project Managers, or other assigned supervisors, to ensure staff are performing at a high standard
- Ensure that staff management matters are taken care of in a timely and appropriate manner e.g. leave approvals, performance reviews and management
- Ensure budget utilisation targets for the team are met