AWS is looking for a results-oriented individual to join the AWS water infrastructure team. In this role, you will execute projects related to water based cooling system infrastructure with assistance from internal teams including construction, operations, engineering, environmental, and project commissioning teams. You will work with outside engineering consultants and general contractors, water treatment and sampling vendors and local utilities to ensure projects meet regulatory standards and a high bar for operational efficiency, reliability, and safety. You will lead all water sustainability projects for AWS Infrastructure in the State of California and South America, executing as you execute multiple water projects, monitoring operational efficiency metrics, and ensure system resiliency after project hand-off to the regional operations team. You will also be the central point of contact for all issues pertaining to water and wastewater treatment and disinfection systems. If you have an understanding of water based critical cooling infrastructure for large-scale building operations and understand the constructability of varying designs, you may be a good fit.
The Water Projects Engineer will be responsible for the following:
· Engineer, implement and monitor water treatment/operations projects and identify optimal design criteria for scaling projects to full-scale deployment across different regions.
· Work with internal teams to trouble shoot problems and conduct Root Cause Analysis (RCA) and Corrective Action (CA) for design and fleet deployed water systems.
· Work with local water utilities to understand and coordinate site utility requirements, site inspections and compliance with federal, state and municipal requirements and building codes.
· Track and manage reliability and maintenance of water systems, as well as the resiliency of sources of water supply required for data center cooling.
· Resiliency of water supply sources at the datacenters
· Help develop and deliver projects that directly support water sustainability goals set by the Water Team
· Oversee support, and testing/validation of systems during installation, operation, and maintenance of water treatment equipment and associated mechanical system.
· Interface with internal engineering, operations, real estate and environmental health and safety teams to develop and implement solutions in rural areas that often lack adequate available water and wastewater infrastructure. Promote standards that maintain consistency and reliability in services delivered.
· Travel for site review and conduct engineering evaluations, audits, and site launches.
· Overseeing maintenance and compliance of on-site water treatment and disinfection systems.
· Work on concurrent projects in multiple geographical regions.
· Up to 25% travel as needed for project execution where authorized under Corporate health and safety standards.
This position is based in the San Francisco Bay Area region, based out of a datacenter location.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical/Chemical/Civil Engineering or related field
· Experience working knowledge of water chemistry and conventional/membrane water treatment technologies for industrial applications with 7+years of experience with industrial or commercial field engineering in data centers.
· Experience reading and interpreting construction drawings and equipment specifications and able to carry design concepts through exploration, development, and into deployment/scalable implementation.
· Experience of mechanical/plumbing related to data centers or similar buildings that use water infrastructure such as pumps, cooling towers, evaporative media, heat exchangers, air handling units, or air economizers to maintain a consistent climate.
· 7+ years of project-related experience working with local or state government agencies, utilities, site development due diligence and/or permitting entities.
· 10+ years of direct experience with the construction, operation, or maintenance of water treatment equipment fleet management.
· Advanced degree in Mechanical/Chemical/Environmental/Civil Engineering.
· Experience with fast track design/build projects and or multiple significant upgrade projects
· Analytical mindset that can identify gaps in requirements during project development, predict performance, and have the ability to provide recommendations on a short notice and with limited information.
· Knowledge of water and wastewater regulations in Central and South America
· Spanish or Portuguese Speaker would be a plus
· Knowledge of water and wastewater regulations in the State of California
Amazon is a committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.