Amazon is looking for a results-oriented individual to join the AWS water infrastructure team. In this role, you will lead all efforts to build data sources, data repositories, and work with data engineers to execute projects related to increasing the efficiency of water-based cooling system infrastructure. Working with internal teams including construction, operations, engineering, environmental, and building controls teams, you will also develop and build mechanisms for water-related data collection from third parties and consultants, track data integrity, and simplify collection processes to help the organization scale its operations. You will lead all water data collection as related to AWS sustainability efforts in North America, EMEA and APAC, and deliver visualization and analytics that will monitor operational efficiency metrics and alarm operators and regional engineers of potential water inefficiencies or risks to operations. You will also be the central point of contact for coordinating all efforts around visualization and data pipeline development for the team. If you have a deep understanding of water consumption and water quality data, the methods and means of sampling and collecting data for regulatory and other operational needs, and have a strong background in SQL (Postgre), Python, and/or AWS Services (S3, Redshift), you may be a good fit.
The Water Data Projects Engineer will be responsible for the following:
· Engineer, implement and monitor water supply, treatment, and operational data gathering and visualization projects and identify optimal design criteria for scaling projects to full-scale deployment across different regions.
· Build and collect data around water consumption, water quality, construction costs, water and wastewater rates, and other OpEx spend to inform the Water Team on strategic design solutions and opportunities for innovation
· Work with controls and operations teams to audit and validate data collected in the field with data collected from IoT sensors developed and deployed globally
· Own all data engineering requirements, working with internal data engineers to build data pipelines, user acceptance testing, and ongoing management of new data sources collected by third party consultants and water quality sampling vendors.
· Develop reports for internal and external financial auditing purposes
· Help develop and deliver projects that directly support water sustainability goals set by the Water Team
· Oversee the development and testing/validation of water treatment systems data collection during installation, commissioning, operation, and maintenance activities.
· Interface with internal engineering, operations, real estate and environmental health and safety teams to develop and implement mechanisms for tracking water and wastewater infrastructure delivery. Promote standards that maintain consistency and reliability in services delivered.
· Work on concurrent projects in multiple geographical regions.
· Up to 20% travel as needed for project execution where authorized under Corporate health and safety standards.
· Flexibility on location in one of the following areas: Northern Virginia/DC, Columbus, OH, Seattle, WA, San Francisco Bay Area, or Umatilla, OR.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or Mechanical/Civil/Environmental/Electrical Engineering or related field
· Experience interpreting water flow diagrams, piping and instrumentation diagrams (P&IDs), and/or building management sequence of operations.
· Understanding of mechanical/plumbing data as related to the operation of cooling facilities or public utility systems.
· 7+ years of project-related experience working with local or state government agencies, utilities, site development due diligence and/or permitting entities.
· 5+ years of building or maintaining SQL-based and/or cloud-based databases
· 10+ years of experience working with the design, construction, operation, or maintenance of water treatment equipment.
· Advanced degree in Mechanical/Chemical/Environmental/Civil Engineering.
· Experience with Python, JSON and/or AWS services (S3, Redshift, Lambda)
· Analytical mindset that can identify gaps in requirements during project development, predict performance, and have the ability to provide recommendations on a short notice and with limited information.
· Familiarity with water infrastructure such as pumps, cooling towers, evaporative media, heat exchangers, air handling units, or air economizers to maintain a consistent climate.
· Working knowledge of water chemistry and water treatment technologies for industrial or utility system applications
Amazon is a committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.