Reference : GWP-SEA
Date Posted : 5 March 2021
Closing Date : 28 March 2021
Position Title : Deputy Regional Coordinator
Duration : 1 year – expected to start as early as possible (with possible extension)
Offered Salary : 1.400 Euro/month (including tax)
Other benefits : 50 Euro/month (Social benefits)
Application Type : Open application for Southeast Asian nationals
The Global Water Partnership (GWP) is a global action network of partners supporting countries and regions in the sustainable development and management of water and related resources worldwide. GWP’s vision is for a water secure world, in which communities are protected from floods, droughts, and water borne diseases, and where environmental protection and the negative effects of poor water management are effectively addressed. The GWP Network is supported and guided by the Global Water Partnership Organisation (GWPO), an intergovernmental organisation based in Stockholm, Sweden, which supports the Global Water Partnership through the structures established to group the Global Water Partnership Partners. GWP provides its Partners around the world with a neutral platform to uphold the values of inclusiveness, openness, transparency, accountability, respect, gender sensitivity, and solidarity.
GWP Southeast Asia (GWP-SEA) is a Regional Water Partnership (RWP) within the GWP Network. GWP Southeast Asia brings together governmental, non-governmental, educational, private, and civil groups and all water related institutions and sectors from countries in the region currently including Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao-PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam. GWP-SEA works closely together with the Regional Water Network and Institutions covering countries of the region such as APWF, UN-ESCAP, AWC and other entities for purposes of supporting countries in the sustainable management of their water resources. The GWP Partners constitute the GWP General Assembly of the regional network bringing to the network expertise, experience, information, and commitment to facilitate an integrated approach to water resources throughout the region.
To deliver its work in the region, GWP Southeast Asia has a governance structure with the following components:
- Country Water Partnerships (CWPs): it is a network of partner institutions in each country within the region which believes in the GWP principles and form a national platform to advocate and implement GWP values for the sustainable management and protection of water resources.
- Consulting Partners: it is the representative body of the regional network of CWP partners which meets every two years to set strategic directions and policies.
- Regional Steering Committee: it is the executive supervisory body constituting representatives of the CWPs in the region which, under the leadership of an elected Chairperson, provides strategic decisions and guidance to the Regional Secretariat (approves work plan and budget) and is responsible for supporting fundraising initiatives aiming at ensuring the financial sustainability of GWP Southeast Asia.
- Secretariat: A small secretariat responsible for the overall co-ordination and the day-to-day management and administration of the Regional program activities. The secretariat is hosted by PT Binatama Wirawreda Konsultan, which is based in Jakarta, Indonesia. The secretariat is headed by a Regional Coordinator. GWP Southeast Asia has been implementing various programs related to integrated water resources management (IWRM) and climate change adaptation for more than a decade. The region is expanding its program activities to contribute to the new and emerging global and regional challenges. Currently it is implementing the Learning Deltas Asia Initiative (LDAI) and supporting the countries in Southeast Asia. The region is also implementing the GWP Sustainable Development Goal 6 Support Program (SDG 6 SP).
SCOPE FOR THE POSITION
The Deputy Regional Coordinator (RC) supports the Regional Coordinator of the Regional Secretariat based in Jakarta and is accountable to the Regional Coordinator, inter alia:
- To support the implementation of the Regional Work Programme, strategic direction and development and ensuring the support to the GWP Regional Water Partnership and the GWP Country Water Partnerships in the region to achieve their goals to attain water security.
- To support maintaining a close and effective relationship with GWPO in relation to planning, implementation, reporting, financial management, administration of the Regional Work Programme.
- To support monitoring the performance of the host institution based on the Host Institution Agreement.
- Provide support to Regional Coordinator for all aspects in relation to development, planning, implementation, reporting, financial management and administration of the Regional Work Programme, in collaboration with the GWP Partners in the region and other strategic regional funders and/or institutions.
- Provide support to Regional Coordinator in developing, strengthening, and maintaining effective working relationships and synergies with co-operating allies (donors and lead regional partner institutions) and Country Water Partnerships (CWP) where they exist.
- Provide support to Regional Coordinator in fundraising for work plan activities including networking to find fruitful partnerships with other organizations and coordinating preparation of project proposals.
- Provide support to Regional Coordinator in ensuring alignment to GWP strategic framework of programmes and projects undertaken in the region on behalf of GWP, including the supervision and provision of guidance to Programme/Project Managers.
- Provide support to Regional Coordinator in establishing and coordinating the functions of a regional group of technical experts to assist with the implementation of the Regional Work Programme.
- Provide support to Regional Coordinator in ensuring effective networking, communication and information sharing among GWP Partners and the CWPs within the region, which includes the promotion of lessons learnt between the GWP Partners, the CWPs, other RWPs and GWPO.
Management of Regional Secretariat
- Manage the Regional Database of Partners on behalf of GWPO.
- Together with Regional Coordinator co-ordinate, liaise and work very closely with the GWPO Network Officer for the region to ensure timely submission of regional inputs, development of synergies within the GWP Network and knowledge sharing across the GWP Network.
- Co-ordinate, liaise and work very closely with the host institution for the Regional Secretariat in order to ensure efficient and effective operations in the Regional Secretariat.
- Provide support to Regional Coordinator to call the meetings of the RSC at the request of the Chair, as well as organise and prepare the necessary documents for all governance meetings.
- Provide support to Regional Coordinator in supporting the RSC to ensure compliance with the Conditions for Accreditation and the RWP statutes. This includes all RWP governance duties and the expansion of the GWP Partners base.
- Any other relevant responsibilities as assigned by the Regional Coordinator.
The ideal candidate for the position of Deputy Regional Coordinator should have the following qualifications and abilities:
- Bachelor degree and above in any or combination of the following fields: natural science, water management, economics, development studies, environmental and social sciences, engineering or any equivalent educational background.
- At least 5-7 years relevant experience in working with implementing large development programmes. The candidate must be familiar with and have sound knowledge and skills of planning, monitoring and evaluation of projects and programmes mainly in the field of water resources management and environment.
- Knowledge of the international context of IWRM and the major international organisations involved, including the aid agencies will be an added advantage.
- Strong managerial leadership skills are essential including excellent organizational and analytical capabilities, setting priorities, take initiatives and complete work plan deadlines.
- A flexible, diplomatic, friendly and cooperative personality with a sensitive approach to national and regional political environments.
- Ability to network at high political levels and across the Region to secure financing for the Regional Water Partnership.
- Good understanding of national governments economic development processes and experience of working with governmental development programmes.
- Fluency in English, written and spoken. Knowledge of other regional languages is an advantage.
- Effective PC skills (Excel, Word, power point, etc.).
- Not a person who has served as Chair or SC member of GWP Southeast Asia. Persons who have served as Chair or SC member cannot become the Deputy Regional Coordinator to allow for new expertise in the management of regional affairs.
HOW TO APPLY
- Applications accepted in English only and only through the online application system: https://gwp.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=45
- Strictly 4-page CV maximum and 1-page cover/motivation letter a must.
- This contract is offered for 1-year. The appointment may be made at a lower grade based on the qualifications and professional experience of the selected applicant.
- Email applications will not be accepted
- Questions can be directed to [email protected]
- Applications should be submitted electronically not later than 23:59 (Jakarta time) on 28 March 2021.
- This call is open to any individual in the Southeast Asia region, with a nationality of one of the GWP Southeast Asia region countries indicated above.
- Women candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted within 4-6 weeks after the application deadline.