What General Information Do I Need To Know About This Position?
Salary: GS-05 $35,265 (Step 01) to $45,847 (Step 10);
NOTE: First time hires to the Federal Government are typically hired at the Step 01.
As a Hydrologic Technician within the Lower Mississippi Gulf Water Science Center, some of your specific duties will include:
- Performs routine and extreme-event measurements of surface water stage and discharge applying various methods including acoustic doppler current profilers and mid-section measurement techniques.
- Analyzes and approves surface-water discharge records including the development and verification of stage/discharge ratings.
- Computes and verifies vertical and horizontal datums using differential levels and GNSS equipment according to established techniques and methods.
- Performs installation, maintenance, servicing, and troubleshooting of stage, precipitation, and water velocity sensing, recording, and communications equipment and instrumentation.
- Operates a government owned or leased vehicle as an incidental driver.
- Operates and/or maintains motorized watercraft.
Physical Demands: The work regularly requires considerable dexterity, agility, and strenuous physical exertion such as: climbing and/or working from tall ladders and scaffolding; work in areas where footing is treacherous such as slippery or icy river banks, steep rocky terrain, cableways, or fast-moving water; lifting heavy objects weighing 23 kilograms (50 pounds) or more, or crouching or crawling in restricted areas.
Work Environment: Office conditions do not require special safety precautions; field conditions may include extreme heat or cold, rain or snow; hazardous conditions such as ice or flooding; or exposure to irritant or toxic chemicals. Work may require the use of personal protective equipment such as masks, coats, boots, goggles, respirators, or life jackets.